Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Hey, BTW, folks...

Are you familiar with HLExport? It's on your Tools menu right below the editor.

The next time you have a datafile you want to distribute to your gaming group (or to a perhaps larger group, if you've taken it upon yourself to do a whole Setting...), check out this handy tool. It reduces the number of files you need to send, and your users don't need to know where to install the files - Hero Lab takes care of that for them.

On the Tools menu, click on Launch HLExport. You'll see the interface for the Import File Creation for Hero Lab.

First, select the game system you want to work with. This is easy, as it automatically defaults to the game system you've started Hero Lab in.

Click on Select Files on the Game Folder line, and in the Select Files to Export window click on Select None. This will clear all the existing check marks. Now, find the .user files and whatever other files you want to include, and check the boxes next to them. Click OK to accept the list.

If you want to include Portfolio files, you can use the Portfolios line to browse to where your files are, and select them in the same fashion. The same with custom output.

Then you can fill in the Third Party information about yourself, the name of the data file, and the version. Note that the version must be formatted as shown (x.y).

Browse to where you want Hero Lab to place the export file, and give it a file name. Be sure to leave the file extension .hl in place.

Place any comments in the space provided, and when everything looks good click on Generate. Hero Lab will create the compressed .hl file in the location chosen, verify it and report back when complete. Click OK and then close the HLExport window to end the program.

The resulting .hl file can be sent to your friends, and all they need to do is double click on it to initiate Hero Lab and start the Import program. All they need to do is click on Start Import and Hero Lab will do the rest. For third-party imports, Hero Lab will ask if they are sure the file is from a trusted source, and they must agree with a click. When the Import is complete, they lust click OK. The imported information should be ready to go.

Using HLExport can smooth out the distribution of fan-generated content for your intended audience. It takes a few minutes of extra effort from the file developer, but it prevents all that all-too-frequent question: "Hey, where am I supposed to put these files?" It also enables version control to your data files, allowing you to track which revision of a file someone has. Take a look!
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Thanks man!
tatteredking is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
knihi

Old December 31st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Hey all,

Anyone know if platform matters with HLExport? Can I make an .hl file and export it on a mac then send it to someone with a PC?

Or do I need to make two files, one on a Mac and one on a PC if I want to make my .hl work available on both platforms?

Thanks in advance,

Lou
knihi is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 1st, 2016, 04:11 AM
It works cross-platform.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote