Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

flamepulse

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have currently 6 computers that i access. I want to be able to have hero lab on all of them, but am restricted to 4 Licenses. If i purchase another full copy of hero lab will i have to repurchase the game systems as well? or will those carry over to the other licence?
flamepulse is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Six computers?!?! Yikes!!

Each new purchase of a primary/master license is completely distinct. So each has its own set of associated, authorized game systems. If you purchase a new license, the game systems would *not* carry over.

The current structure allows for a maximum of four licenses tied through a single primary/master license. We started out with just the original two licenses. Then we found there were users with computers at work, at home, a laptop, and a fourth in the game room. So we introduced the extra secondary licenses and set the maximum number to four. And now you provide us with the exception that proves the rule. :-(

The problem is that we need to set a reasonable limit somewhere. I've had lots of gamers walk up to me in the booth at GenCon, pool their money right in front of me, and buy a single copy for sharing. They openly discuss putting it on everyone's separate computers. We've had people send us support emails specifically asking if they can buy one copy and share it. We've even had people openly tell us we need to increase the secondary license limit so that additional people in their gaming group and piggy-back on the GM's license.

And then there are folks like yourself who legitimately have six computers they use regularly for various purposes.

Unfortunately, we need to find a balance. The folks who share licenses are operating within the letter of the rules, albeit well outside the spirit of the rules. We pay royalties to all the publishers we license games from, so this doesn't sit well with them either. Yet they agree that the secondary licenses are important for a lot of users. The question here is whether it makes sense to increase the limit beyond four. There are probably a lot more folks sharing licenses than there are those who have more than four computers in regular use.

That being said, we'll give this some thought and talk to a few of our publishers to see what they think.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
thanks for hte reply. the other 2 computers i use are now nessacary anyway, jsut wanted to know if their was an option. Still might break down and buy a second copy anyway.
flamepulse is offline   #3 Reply With Quote