Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kate

Old November 1st, 2015, 09:58 PM
I've kept up with the recent updates and stuff looked fine until I opened a statblock (embedded word document). It looks like they all were corrupted at some point since the major update (I'm pretty sure they were working before I installed it).

Is there any way to deal with this other than the restore? I've made quite a few changes to the realm before noticing this issue but am not entirely sure what I've changed.

EDIT: Is it possible, for example, to use a second computer to access the realm that was synced during the update? I don't think I've synced it since because we've been on a game hiatus and I just use one computer. Or would that still have the data corruption?

Last edited by kate; November 1st, 2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added possible solution
kate is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:49 AM
It sounds like the conversion issue Nikmal describes in this post. To fix it, you had to install 205 and revert to your automatically backed-up database from version 200 so the newer version could redo the conversion without messing up your statblocks. The procedure is described in the Release Notes for version 204.

Unfortunately, if this is it you may have to choose between getting back your statblock data or keeping the work you've been doing in the meantime. :(

If that's not it, then make sure you report the bug you're having.

If you haven't updated your second computer past version 200, then you shouldn't have any problems looking at anything it already has on it. You won't be able to sync, but that's OK for now. Just don't install 205 on it.

If it has been updated with 201-205, then my guess is that it will have the same problems as your main computer. You could work your way back to 200 and your database from before the conversion (temporarily) or just wait it out.

Good luck. :(

Last edited by Parody; November 2nd, 2015 at 01:02 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kate

Old November 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
OK, fixed - and without losing anything!

It was behaving slightly differently from Nikmal's issue - I was getting html style tags instead of chinese characters and new statblocks were saving correctly. I think that's because the data was corrupted when I installed 202, but I didn't notice it until now (running 205).

The second computer was running version 195 under a player account and hadn't been synced recently. I couldn't access the stat blocks or even open my backup database SO
  1. I backed up the recent version with the desired changes but corrupted data (A) just in case, and opened it offline on my laptop.
  2. I went through the recovery procedure described in release 204 on my player's laptop using my backup file (B) on a flash drive, and accessed the statblocks.
  3. I used copy-paste to move them to a word document. Fortunately there were only a dozen or so.
  4. I opened the word document on my laptop, which was accessing my realm offline using a local version of A, and pasted the statblocks back in over the corrupted data. This gave me a realm file that was complete and uncorrupted (A+B), which I synced, overwriting the cloud data (which contained B).

The only problem was that restoring my database on the player's laptop automatically switched the player's software to my account and uninstalling and re-installing the software didn't give me the option to reset the account like I thought it would... so I found a third computer without Realm Works (my player's desktop) and installed the software there, logged in as my player, created a backup associated with his account, and loading that to my player's laptop to reset the associated account! (Fortunately player is my husband so accessing his machines was not hard.)

Last edited by kate; November 2nd, 2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarified
kate is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Woo hoo! Congrats on getting back your data! I know the feeling of pulling off a clever work around, so good on you!
JustinThomason is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
And thank you for sharing the work around.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote