Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FreakFire74

Old January 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Hi there,

I bought RW last week, was smitten with from the get go.. Been reading manuals and watching tutorials like crazy all week (had quite some help on these forums, thanks again!)..

I put tons of stuff in my Realm: I started out with a big dungeon that included a map with about 10 highly detailed rooms with traps, locked doors, riddles, NPC's, lots of lore and random information and a quite suspenseful storyline.. Putting it into RW was a piece of cake! I didn't use plots yet because this was just a dungeon area with a relatively straightforward storyline.. I did include events and lots of locations..

I did a LOT of preparation (I admit about half of that time went into trying to teach myself how to use Campaign Cartographer, which I also bought last week) and I felt quite sure of myself when I started tonight.. I was eager to play..

It was a BLAST!

I honestly can't see myself working without the Realm Works/Campaign Cartographer combo ever again.. For me this is a gamechanger!

First of all, my players and myself absolutely loved using the Player View during play.. I incrementally revealed my map and I also had a ton of monster pictures, some NPC pictures, even some pictures of objects, a painting etc.. I had all the rooms, monsters and objects nicely organised so I could show the stuff that I wanted to show to the players almost immediately..

We had one moment where the Player View was getting quite laggy and even unresponsive but a quick restart of RW fixed this.. Did anyone else experience this? Most of the time the update took about 5 seconds, which was fine.. but sometimes it went up to 10-20 seconds..

My players were delighted by all the stuff I could just show them and loved using the maps!

So far we haven't used the Player Edition but most of my players were so enthusiastic that they will probably get it for themselves..

Just two quick question:

1) We made heavy use of the Player View which I'd linked to my Ipad.. Now another guy in my group also has an Ipad.. Would it be possible to link two Ipads to RW with different information on them? One would contain the map, the other we would use for quick pictures, riddles, random info, NPC profiles etc.. I know I can select the screen I want to use for Player View..

2) We are currently using Obsidian Portal, mainly for the Adventure Journals /session reports.. We made a lot of links in the Wiki which we use in the Journal but the RW database is much more versatile, more powerful and easier to use.. I know RW will be moving to a browser interface at one point but will there ever be a way to present Session Reports/Adventure Journals in an easy to read post? I mean, will there be a way for players to read this without having to log in a Player Edition? Like a blog post..? I know it's maybe too much to ask but for us it would mean completely leaving OP behind..

Thanks a lot for this great software! Our group was really very happy with it and I expect they will be even happier when they sink their teeth into the Player Edition (which I'm off to buy right now!)

Mike
FreakFire74 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Great feedback and very happy your first session went so well with RW at the helm!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 7th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Wow! Thanks for the feedback and kind words! Let's see if I can help you with your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
Hi there,
Just two quick question:

1) We made heavy use of the Player View which I'd linked to my Ipad.. Now another guy in my group also has an Ipad.. Would it be possible to link two Ipads to RW with different information on them? One would contain the map, the other we would use for quick pictures, riddles, random info, NPC profiles etc.. I know I can select the screen I want to use for Player View..
Right now you can't put Player View on two screens (or in your case, two iPads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
2) We are currently using Obsidian Portal, mainly for the Adventure Journals /session reports.. We made a lot of links in the Wiki which we use in the Journal but the RW database is much more versatile, more powerful and easier to use.. I know RW will be moving to a browser interface at one point but will there ever be a way to present Session Reports/Adventure Journals in an easy to read post? I mean, will there be a way for players to read this without having to log in a Player Edition? Like a blog post..? I know it's maybe too much to ask but for us it would mean completely leaving OP behind..
There may be a way to achieve this in the future web version of Realm Works, but we'll be able to share more about this will look like as we get further along in the development of the web version. Stay tuned.
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old January 7th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
There may be a way to achieve this in the future web version of Realm Works, but we'll be able to share more about this will look like as we get further along in the development of the web version. Stay tuned.
It would be great if this is a future feature. I have been displeased with OP since they revamped their site and broke it. I gave it a year and the support has disappeared so I stopped paying and I'm looking for something else. Being able to do a journal/summary of a session with RW would be the icing on the cake.
ruhar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old January 8th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, Liz!

Having the option to spread information across multiple Player Views would be fantastic for our group.. but I'm sure there are more important things..

Really psyched about the option to include journals in the web version! It's the only reason we're still hanging on the OP..
FreakFire74 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote