Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kate

Old September 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Generally I like the Global domains and categories, but I've noticed that the sheer number of tags in the Personality Trait domain is causing some problems:

1) It's difficult to search through the tags to find the ones I want because there's so much "noise."

2) The overlap between tags makes filtering less efficient. The terms "fearless," "courageous," and "valiant" all have lovely poetic subtleties, but for a filing system I want all of my brave individuals in the same box, not split up like this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you like all the options, or do you think less would be more?
kate is offline   #1
AEIOU

Old September 29th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I'm feeling the opposite actually. I don't use the personality traits for every NPC (yet) and for those I do, I find myself shopping through the list for the ones that really resonate. As players interact with "color" NPC's, I add personality and notes about the interaction.

I'd actually like more traits rather than less.... But as much as I like reading through the list since it sparks ideas about the NPC, it would be nice if they could be sorted by type as well as the current alphabetical. And that would probably help Kate as well.

Primarily, I am using the personality traits as a quick queue card to remind me of the most basic elements of their personality so I can roleplay them more consistently.

I'm not planning to filter all of the brave people together. Though that is intriguing to look at over time to ensure that I don't fall into a rut. But I'd rather have a data dump of numbers to Excel to analyze that.
AEIOU is offline   #2
Silveras

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:50 AM
@kate: Yes, this has been noticed. There is a thread elsewhere talking about re-organizing them.. and both of your points are mentioned there as reasons why. One thought is to break them out into more separate tag domains. The big thing is, it is on the radar, and suggestions are welcomed.
Silveras is offline   #3
kate

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Oh, I missed that other thread. I'll go there, then, thanks.

EDIT: Can't find the other thread, but I do think that breaking them into separate tag domains would help, especially with issue (1). Also makes it easier for people like AEIOU who really like the subtleties to decide which tag resonates most when you can easily see that "Clever" "Analytical" and "Shrewd" are all options. And it doesn't require any underlying changes to the way domains store tags. I would suggest 3-5 separate domains, such as "Mental," "Social," and "Ethical" (for virtues and vices such as compassionate, honest, just, negligent, sadistic), including a "Miscellaneous."

Being able to highlight a preferred tag would help with filtering since then you can find your favourite "file folder" tags without having to entirely hide or delete similar tags.

In the meantime, I'm just going to go and hide a bunch of the tags I'm finding superfluous.

Last edited by kate; September 29th, 2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added info
kate is offline   #4
Silveras

Old September 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM
@kate: Well, you're on a roll, because the categorizations like "Mental", "Social", and "Ethical" I think were all, or almost all, mentioned in the other thread.

The other thread is in the Beta forums, which is why I did not get into too much detail. I just wanted to let you know that the issue has been noticed, and there are plans to modify it, hopefully in ways that work better overall.
Silveras is offline   #5
kate

Old September 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks! If the issue has been noticed and discussed I trust LWD will improve it.
kate is offline   #6
Gord

Old October 14th, 2013, 07:12 AM
You probably can't find the other thread as it was in the beta test forum if I remember correctly.
Gord is offline   #7