Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Oh, I don't know. I would totally buy RotRL. And I've been considering buying the PDF of Curse of the Crimson Throne - if I do I'd buy the RW package for it as well. There are other APs I really like and would probably purchase.

Also, Bestiaries.

Not rulebooks, and one-shot modules I'd enter myself.
There certainly are people who would buy RotRL. It is a classic and there are always people playing it. But how many sales would they have for Second Darkness or Jade Regent or any of the other less than classic AP's? Besides RotRL, Curse of the Crimson Throne and maybe Skull and Shackles can anyone really imagine enough sales of those old AP's to make the data entry costs worth while? That leaves the new AP's as they come out which means literally as part of the subscription delivery or it won't be relevant to a lot of the potential consumers.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:21 AM
True. Other than Runelords and Crimson Throne, possibly the only one I'd buy right now would be Legacy of Fire (yet another 3.5 AP, but a less appreciated one than Runelords or Crimson Throne). But that might change if I actually looked at any of the newer ones .
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
If they re-work the application to be 64bit, render tabs in an instant and optimize how things go, I am paying gladly for such upgrade. Packing some UI improvements for extra punch and they got my money if costed in the proper way.

The old model for paid major versions is fair and I would not think twice. The other model is extortion and every developer and business owners thinking for it should go to hell.
The "other model"? You mean subscription models?

Sorry, I don't know what you are going on about.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
The "other model"? You mean subscription models?

Sorry, I don't know what you are going on about.
Correct, the subscription model.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 20th, 2018, 11:04 AM
I guess I now find myself in a very different camp than most of the people posting to this thread. I originally bought RealmWorks for world building and running my home-brew campaign. But work and life have made it hard to make time for that. In December a ended a campaign I'd been running for almost two years in RW and now am running published APs (Curse of Strahd and Trail of the Apprentice, both DnD 5e).

For now RW is shelved. Really, the only thing that would get me using it again would be Content Market material. I don't have time to enter content myself, but boy would I like to have that content entered already so I can use RW's tools to track party progress. If I were playing Pathfinder, I would find it very valuable to have the AP content available for purchase, old or new. Even if I already had the books, I would still buy the content from the CM.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like WoTC APs will be available. I sure would love to have Curse of Strahd, Storm Kings Thunder, and Tomb of Annihilation available in RW. There is no tool like it. It would be a huge help to have these APs in RW. Not big enough for me to data enter the content myself, but I would buy the content in a heartbeat--even Curse of Strahd, which I already own in paper and in DnD Beyond. I would not hesitate to buy it a third time if it were available in RW.

While I am not holding my breath for official WoTC content, I do hope that they can get some of the great third-party APs for 5e available in RW.

Having DnD 5e adventure content in RW is about the only thing that would get me using it again in the foreseeable future.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
"As I said a while back, I can’t change the past decisions made, all we can do is move forward with what we can realistically do given the resources we have, give honest answers, and try to get the past all wrapped up so we can move on to bigger and better features in the future. We have to launch the Content Market to fund all these items everyone wants to see. I get frustrated right along with you when I see the wonderful ideas you have here and I realize we simply don’t have the staff to make them happen right now."

Aaaand there it is.

The moment that the narrative pivots from "It's coming! We have this incredible plan and you guys just won't let us alone to implement it!" to "Well, we'll have to see what we can do to rescue this project because our plan isn't really working and we bit off more than we can afford to chew.".

That right there is what I've been waiting to see, hoping I wouldn't see, but mostly expecting to see: The standard kickstarter "Let em down slowly" pitch.
The project is not being canceled, and I am not using a specific softer tone to let you down slowly or hiding a dark future plan. I am just sharing what details I have with you in my own words instead of those dictated to me, which I do understand is a different feel from the past company tone most of you are accustomed to and may take some time to adjust to. I apologize for the confusion. The market is coming, and the program is still being worked on.

We are still plodding along, we have always had a small team and that's part of what makes it all slow. As I said, my hope is that after the API is fixed and the Market is out we will be able to hire additional developers to ensure features are added more swiftly in the future. That may not pan out but our current team will still be here even if it doesn't.

At the moment, our devs are working to repair a few issues that are plaguing users such as a bug that breaks something when you try to change the game system and an issue that people who haven’t logged in in several years are having that prevents them from using the program entirely. They are also trying to get a workaround in place for the API issue.

Additionally, we have a content data entry team, just as we do for Hero Lab, who are busy putting content in while we wait for the workaround to be in place.

Last edited by BJ; February 20th, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
BJ is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Oh, I don't know. I would totally buy RotRL. And I've been considering buying the PDF of Curse of the Crimson Throne - if I do I'd buy the RW package for it as well. There are other APs I really like and would probably purchase.

Also, Bestiaries.

Not rulebooks, and one-shot modules I'd enter myself.
You're in luck! We fully intend to have bestiaries available at launch. Many of them are already done.

Curse of the Crimson Throne is complete as well.
BJ is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Quote:
I guess I now find myself in a very different camp than most of the people posting to this thread. I originally bought RealmWorks for world building and running my home-brew campaign. But work and life have made it hard to make time for that. In December a ended a campaign I'd been running for almost two years in RW and now am running published APs (Curse of Strahd and Trail of the Apprentice, both DnD 5e).

For now RW is shelved. Really, the only thing that would get me using it again would be Content Market material. I don't have time to enter content myself, but boy would I like to have that content entered already so I can use RW's tools to track party progress. If I were playing Pathfinder, I would find it very valuable to have the AP content available for purchase, old or new. Even if I already had the books, I would still buy the content from the CM.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like WoTC APs will be available. I sure would love to have Curse of Strahd, Storm Kings Thunder, and Tomb of Annihilation available in RW. There is no tool like it. It would be a huge help to have these APs in RW. Not big enough for me to data enter the content myself, but I would buy the content in a heartbeat--even Curse of Strahd, which I already own in paper and in DnD Beyond. I would not hesitate to buy it a third time if it were available in RW.

While I am not holding my breath for official WoTC content, I do hope that they can get some of the great third-party APs for 5e available in RW.

Having DnD 5e adventure content in RW is about the only thing that would get me using it again in the foreseeable future.
I am in talks to get other licenses in place while we wait for the API issue to be solved and we are working on adding 5E content from 3PPs. Book of Lairs, Tome of Beasts, and Creature Components should all be available at launch, for example.

If you're talking about the Legendary Games book Trail of the Apprentice, I actually wrote a cameo bit for that. I'm not sure when exactly we will have it but I suspect we will have it.

Last edited by BJ; February 20th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.
BJ is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 20th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj View Post
you're in luck! We fully intend to have bestiaries available at launch. Many of them are already done.

Curse of the crimson throne is complete as well.
yes! Gravy!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old February 20th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Quote:

Only you know how you can best use RW. But for me, running a home brew sandbox, it's still of great use. Other than dungeons, I rarely create content more than one session ahead of time. I'm often creating content at the table, and taking notes in RW.

Even without purchasing pre-made content or pre-populating the content by hand, I'm still using the RW a lot. Being able to look at an NPC or a faction and see which of the past 20 sessions they've had contact with the PCs and what that contact was helps me quite a lot.
the_redbeard is offline   #40 Reply With Quote