Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Teresa

Old November 29th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I also feel that RW is very incomplete, but I'm already planning to create a "Research" realm so as to organize and quickly get all the information I research and pile up, filling tens of binders. Which means, incomplete or not, RW is already pretty useful the way it is now.

Export is fundamental for me, but these forums have made me feel confident, so I'm taking advantage of the waiting time (namely when I can start sharing bits of and entire realms with myself and my sister) to find out the best way to adapt RW to myself and vice-versa.

I also use it for world building and organising my writing notes for stories.

It would be awsome the idea of being able to write my stories straight in my Realm so as to quickly find what I have written (and when) to avoid anachronisms without envolving careful rereading with lots of notes on my side to make sure everything is right.

Of course I know this is me daydreaming, as RW is devoted to gamers, but I also plan to share my ideas and notes (with PE) with my sister so I can keep her up-to-date with what I'm doing, and she can read on her own like a beta and comment on my work. That means that player view will also be useful for me.

I understand the comments and other users' frustrations, I'm not denying that because, depending on people's needs and style, the situation can be difficult; but it is also good to know there are users out here who are already happy with what they have (albeit anxious for all the promises to be kept as well as occasional extra goodies inspired by users)
Teresa is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old November 29th, 2014, 10:16 AM
This escalated quickly.
evildmguy is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
...Snip...

I understand the comments and other users' frustrations, I'm not denying that because, depending on people's needs and style, the situation can be difficult; but it is also good to know there are users out here who are already happy with what they have (albeit anxious for all the promises to be kept as well as occasional extra goodies inspired by users)
Thanks, Teresa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post
This escalated quickly.
Your comments prompted some good discussion, evildmguy. Everyone's being respectful and constructive in their feedback, which is appreciated.
liz is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old November 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM
My comment was mostly tongue in cheek. I have enjoyed the discussion and am glad it has been civil.

I think for myself, it's forgetting that my players want things easy, up to date or with messages on updates, and are more in game types than doing something away from the table. However, the PV doesn't show text/info well, imo, for my group even with the second monitor to use as the way to give them info, which is why they were thinking live updates, with their laptops at the table, was what PE was for.

I still find RW as a campaign creator and ways to track my information. I still struggle with using the storyboard but I think it's more I want a mind map / free form bubble area to track things than as strict as it is.

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 29th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morval View Post
I for some reason just assumed PE was realtime sync, I thought that was the reason for the cloud, like how Roll20 uses the cloud, never really looked too hard at the specs I guess.

That's too bad its not, anyone not playing face to face will not find it as useful. Even face to face I'd rather have a live PE that any player could bring up on their own notebook, live no syncing required. Then they can move around looking up things while others take notes while on the big screen the GM displays what information he wants them to see via PV.
Just to throw another perspective on this...

Actually, running a Play-by-Post/Play-by-Email game, RealmWorks (especially PE) is *more* valuable than in a face-to-face game. With RealmWorks, I can provide my remote players with all of the information they have discovered to-date, all of the background information their PCs "should know" about the world, and so on.
Silveras is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old November 29th, 2014, 12:18 PM
So, @Liz, when is the next patch/update?
Seregil is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
Zogg

Old November 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post

Actually, running a Play-by-Post/Play-by-Email game, RealmWorks (especially PE) is *more* valuable than in a face-to-face game. With RealmWorks, I can provide my remote players with all of the information they have discovered to-date, all of the background information their PCs "should know" about the world, and so on.
Agreed. I have players at either end of the country and I'm near the middle. I'm patiently waiting for the free web-based player view and individual player reveal to be implemented and then I'll be able to keep them updated without endless email attachments. In the meantime, I'm ever so slowly uploading content.

Ever. So. Slowly.

There's a lot of work involved in transferring nearly 30 years of world building into RealmWorks.
Zogg is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old November 29th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Agreed. I have players at either end of the country and I'm near the middle. I'm patiently waiting for the free web-based player view and individual player reveal to be implemented and then I'll be able to keep them updated without endless email attachments. In the meantime, I'm ever so slowly uploading content.

Ever. So. Slowly.

There's a lot of work involved in transferring nearly 30 years of world building into RealmWorks.
I can imagine. I bought the product a few days before PE came out and I have been inputting information ever since. My campaign is only in the North of FR, 1E, so the amount of stuff is limited to essenitally 2 sourcesbooks: FR1 Waterdeep and North and FR5 The Savage Frontier and even THAT is taking forever....
Seregil is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Indus101

Old November 29th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Just want to point out that, even with the current limitations of the Player Edition, for all that Realmworks does, it is very reasonably priced and very useful product. I have it hooked up to a projector during our game sessions, and make great use of the Fog of World feature. From an organizational stand-point it is superb, and the interfacing with Hero Lab makes combat a lot smoother. Like Teresa, I also use it outside gaming as a replacement for older hypertext programs I would use to track notes for books or novels.

Does it lack features that would be nice? Absolutely. And I'm not discounting any of the criticisms by evildmguy or anyone else in the thread. I think those issues need to be addressed, and I think many of them will be in time.

But it will take time. LWD is a small developer building an enormous, very ambitious piece of software for what is a niche-market. The customer base isn't going to be large enough to support a team of ninety developers working the weekends to fix things. It's too bad all those millions logging into World of Warcraft don't discover the joy of table-top gaming and bring their money here, but it is what it is....

So make sure your voice is heard on that development priority survey that's coming (and make sure a customizable calendar is part of your vote! )
Indus101 is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 30th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post

Oh, definitely +100 on this for me in my own online campaign. This will NOT be used for realtime updates but for players to review between sessions and sometimes during sessions to remind themselves of something they'd learned.
weogarth is offline   #60 Reply With Quote