Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

cheddarmonger

Send a message via ICQ to cheddarmonger Send a message via AIM to cheddarmonger Send a message via MSN to cheddarmonger

Old January 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry, I just couldn't get into it. Using the conversion script, it seemed to transfer okay, but I'm not running a campaign so I couldn't test it. I also have my own aesthetic for Mordheim rules, so building a data file from scratch would be way over my head at this point...
cheddarmonger is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
dhunton

Old January 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
So, with the transfer script, it actually functioned reasonably well for a temporary solution?

I am a decent programmer, but a little short on time. If I'd thought about this 6 months ago, I could have worked on it at work during the off season (at my "day" job <g>), but now we're getting into season. If the transfer works at all, it would be better than what we have now (that is, if the file is small enough for my laptop to handle it!).

Debbie
dhunton is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
cheddarmonger

Send a message via ICQ to cheddarmonger Send a message via AIM to cheddarmonger Send a message via MSN to cheddarmonger

Old January 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
It zips down to 2.5 megs, expands to over 40 megs. It took a lot of processing power to convert the original 2.x data.

Just go to my website; I uploaded the zip and put a link on my main gallery page.

Cheers,
-- David

------------------------------------------------------------------
see my motley collection of miniatures and my scrabbling html skill on my website:

http://cheddarmonger.museedrole.com/miniatures
cheddarmonger is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 8th, 2006, 05:01 PM
When the converter was written, it was tested against the Mordheim files. The resulting files were a horrendously messy pig. This is largely due to a small number (less than 10) of silly things done within the V2.x data files that forced the converter to jump through lots of major hoops and generate vast amounts of special handling. After going in to the V2.x files and cleaning up about a half-dozen things, the converted files were shrunk to about one quarter the size from the first conversion.

Unfortunately, that was a year ago and I have no recollection of the specific things I modified in the V2.x files. I can definitely say that they were pretty easy to spot, since I only spent a couple hours with the Mordheim files.

Anyways, if you intend to convert the Mordheim files, definitely look into cleaning up the original V2.x files before conversion. It will pay off hugely in the resulting V3.x data files.

Another option to consider would be to get a team together to work on the Mordheim files. There are so many warbands that it would take one person a huge amount of time to do them all. However, each warband is very small in scope (compared to games like WFB and 40K). If one person spent the time to put together the basic framework for everything and then implemented a few of the core warbands, others could very readily join in to implement separate warbands. This would enable the core Mordheim data files to be up and running relatively quickly and then evolve steadily to cover all the various warbands. If GW allowed us to be involved in writing the data files, we'd have already done this. However, this is definitely a viable option for someone out there to consider.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 07:00 PM 1/1/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Email me if you want my converted files. It zips down to 2.5 megs, expands to over 40 megs. It took a lot of processing power to convert the original 2.x data.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
dhunton

Old January 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I would be more than willing to do a number of the warbands from the Town Cryers (quite possibly all of them over time). I own every single one of the TCs, and have probably played or played against most of the warbands.

But as I said, I simply have a limited amount of time to do the basic research into the data files to set up the main files.
dhunton is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
quin242

Old January 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Sadly disappointed in V3.

I had an unregistered version of V2.x and it was complete and functional for Mordheim but I wanted to support this company with my purchase so went with the upgrade and now I find that Mordheim files are MIA???

Why is this company relying on the users to write code for them?
What did i just pay $40 for?
quin242 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
deathlynx
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quin242
Why is this company relying on the users to write code for them?
What did i just pay $40 for?
Well, especially in this case GW gets mighty picky about competition when it comes to creating lists...Basically their view seems to be (I might be misteaken) that people won't buy their books or 40K armybuilding program if they can make lists in another format...As such Lone Wolf can only provide the platform but can't be seen as promoting the files by creating them themselves...
deathlynx is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
quin242

Old January 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlynx
Well, especially in this case GW gets mighty picky about competition when it comes to creating lists...Basically their view seems to be (I might be misteaken) that people won't buy their books or 40K armybuilding program if they can make lists in another format...As such Lone Wolf can only provide the platform but can't be seen as promoting the files by creating them themselves...
But they HAVE 40K and Fantasy files or this wouldn't have sold at all...
And they HAVE Mordheim files in V2.x...

I'd appreciate if they just made the new version as useful as the old...
I feel mugged in that I COULD have stayed with the pirate version that worked for the games I play rather than pay for the "UPGRADE" which has LESS functionality...
quin242 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
hang on, you are complaining about paying for the upgrade and yet you are saying that you have been ripping off the company using a pirate version! Quit whinging!
harkan is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
HakujinGrande

Old January 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Also, your fault for not doing the research into what datafiles are currently supported before purchasing the new version.

Space Marine Maintainer for AB3
Battlefleet Gothic Maintainer for AB3
40K: Space Wolves, 13th Company, Grey Knights, Deathwatch
BFG: Space Marine Fleet, Armageddon Fleet, Tau Fleet
HakujinGrande is offline   #20 Reply With Quote