Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

charlieluce

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'd really like the ability to add a Custom Power (an Arcane Power in my specific case).

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 12th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I'd really like the ability to add a Custom Power (an Arcane Power in my specific case).
That can already be done by using the Editor. Just use it to create a new .user file and go to the Arcane Power tab. I find it easiest to make judicious use of the "New (Copy)" button to copy and existing power that is similar to the one I want to create to help make it a little easier.

Hope that helps!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I know, but I was kind of hoping not to have to create and maintain a .user file for a game that I'm not running. I can do customs with Edges, but not Powers.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I know, but I was kind of hoping not to have to create and maintain a .user file for a game that I'm not running. I can do customs with Edges, but not Powers.
Oh, so you mean like using the "CUSTOM EDGE" item from within Hero Lab itself? Not a bad idea to have... well everywhere really, for one off stuff. I concur it would be nice to have that functionality. Although I will add that in my own games it seems like I always just end up adding things to a .user file anyway because inevitably others end up wanting to use it, too, and the .user versions of things end up being better integrated (especially for things like Edges or Hindrances which can have bonuses or negatives to things that I can then incorporate pretty easily using the Editor.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
With Powers there are some other considerations that make it difficult to create one on-the-fly like you can with Edges. For example, most Arcane Backgrounds have specific lists of Powers they can use, and if it's set up from the Arcane Background side there wouldn't be a way to add it to the list without going through the Editor.
CapedCrusader is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
And charlie, I like your sig...

Last edited by CapedCrusader; August 18th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 18th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
With Powers there are some other considerations that make it difficult to create one on-the-fly like you can with Edges. For example, most Arcane Backgrounds have specific lists of Powers they can use, and if it's set up from the Arcane Background side there wouldn't be a way to add it to the list without going through the Editor.
That's not really a consideration for a one-off on a sheet, though. The presumption there is that all other considerations are essentially irrelevant in that, for that character, they meet any requirements needed for that thing. Same for something like an Edge but of course the problem there is all of the rest of the stuff that Edges or Hindrances might normally have integrated into them, such as modifiers to things or, as you mention, lists of allowed Powers. Still, if a user wants to add something on the fly either as a one-shot for an NPC on the GM side or maybe just a placeholder for a PC for something they want to add a permanent version of later then I think it could be helpful having that.

I know I find it helpful for that purpose for equipment and especially helpful for magic items where using the custom creator can help you to figure out the cost for a permanent version to be made in the Editor.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Blinkey

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I would like the option to print Hair Color, Eye Color, and Skin Color on the character sheet.
I added this to the sheet_standard1.dat below the sex/age/height/weight section. Nothing changed

@text &= "; Hair: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perHair].text
@text &= "; Eye: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perEye].text
@text &= "; Skin: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perSkin].text

Last edited by Blinkey; August 24th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Blinkey is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkey View Post
I would like the option to print Hair Color, Eye Color, and Skin Color on the character sheet.
I added this to the sheet_standard1.dat below the sex/age/height/weight section. Nothing changed

@text &= "; Hair: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perHair].text
@text &= "; Eye: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perEye].text
@text &= "; Skin: " & hero.child[mscPerson].field[perSkin].text
Modifying that sheet will do nothing because it's not referenced in the already compiled program. You'd need to make a copy of the entire Savage Worlds game system first and then I think it will reference that (i. e. you're using the Authoring Kit at that point).

For the base system you'd have to use a custom output sheet instead but I don't think we've found anyone with enough XML experience to really make a full sheet using custom output yet (unlike the Pathfinder folks who have a couple of Custom Output sheets.) The best we've got that I know of is a sheet I did which prints out in grids most things I could find that I could get printed out, although it should be noted that there are a few things that apparently don't print out yet, and those that I've found I have requested in this very thread. Unfortunately, I'm horrible with XML so it's very poorly formatted. I have put together one other custom output sheet, though, that I use as a supplement to the standard HL sheet where I list, what I can, that isn't on the main sheet like those things you mentioned along with the full descriptions of gear, edges, hindrances, power, etc. I haven't posted a link to that one here yet but if anyone wants it I could post here. It looks just a bad at that other "full" sheet I did, just with less duplication of info from the main sheet.

EDIT: Those things and languages from a previous post are all on the sheet, I think they may have made it in with v2.6 or maybe v2.5, I'm not sure. There is also now available, though not officially, an "Extended" character sheet. Just look for the thread "Extended Character Sheets" on this forum for a .hl install file if you would like to add that as something to have available in your copy of HL.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; October 11th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
zarlor is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Shadizar

Old August 26th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I'd most like to see two things that block aspects of campaign and/or houserules:
Most importantly, Psionics and spell point support. For d20 and Pathfinder, psionics (a la dreamscarred's stuff for PF), and spell points (unearthed arcana in d20) are used in every Pathfinder and 3.5 campaign I'm involved in.

Secondly, pet peeve; I have my own currency ratios and weights, would love to not have to do hacky workarounds to use them
Shadizar is offline   #80 Reply With Quote