Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 07:30 PM 2/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Colen wrote:
You can't technically make +1 Elven Chain, since elven chain isn't a base type of armor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaul
Why not? Its already masterwork because of the mithral. All you have to do is start adding the various magical enhancements you want on to it.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't that exactly what Colen outlined doing?
Colen stated that Elven Chain wasn't a base armor. I was attempting, obviously unsuccessfully, to ask why it wasn't. I don't see any reason why you can't start with the armor Elven Chain and begin modifying from their instead of having to create new armor based off of chain mail.
kingpaul is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 07:00 PM 2/10/2007, you wrote:
It's also a great thing for an ad hoc group of volunteers on a freeware project.
Now, what could you be alluding to with that comment?
kingpaul is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpaul
Colen stated that Elven Chain wasn't a base armor. I was attempting, obviously unsuccessfully, to ask why it wasn't. I don't see any reason why you can't start with the armor Elven Chain and begin modifying from their instead of having to create new armor based off of chain mail.
Ummm...because it isn't? Elven Chain isn't in the PHB as an armor, at all. Chain Shirt, yes. Chain Mail, yes. Elven Chain, nope.

In fact, when I went to look-see, it's specifically noted noted under magic armor, which sort of points to it being most emphatically NOT base armor. Pg. 220 of DMG

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Old February 13th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I read the DMG entry (which isn't open content) and then read the RSRD entry (which is). Neither of them say "this is not a base armor". So, we come back to my question, why can't you modify elven chain if you find it? Its made of mithral, so meets the masterwork requirement for magical armor.

In fact, any of the specific armors can be modified further if the characters have a) the money and b) the skill to do so.
kingpaul is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 13th, 2007, 02:18 AM
At 09:06 PM 2/12/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
rob wrote:
At 07:00 PM 2/10/2007, you wrote:
It's also a great thing for an ad hoc group of volunteers on a freeware project.

Now, what could you be alluding to with that comment? [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Actually, the two things I had firmly fixed in my mind where (a) a collaborative freeware project that I was involved in a number of years ago and (b) the team developing the 40K data files for our Army Builder product. Both efforts actively leverage(d) a public task list, progress reporting, etc. Obviously, the reference equally applies to the PCGen project that is near and dear to your heart, but I'm sorry to say that wasn't what I was thinking of when I wrote the reply. :-(

-Rob
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Old February 13th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 09:06 PM 2/12/2007, you wrote:
but I'm sorry to say that wasn't what I was thinking of when I wrote the reply. :-(
:shock:

I'm hurt!

:lol:
kingpaul is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 13th, 2007, 03:08 AM
At 03:07 AM 2/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I read the DMG entry (which isn't open content) and then read the RSRD entry (which is). Neither of them say "this is not a base armor". So, we come back to my question, why can't you modify elven chain if you find it? Its made of mithral, so meets the masterwork requirement for magical armor.

In fact, any of the specific armors can be modified further if the characters have a) the money and b) the skill to do so.
While there is technically no explicit statement that elven chain is not a base armor type, there is also no explicit statement that it is. As such, it is left to the reader to infer his own conclusions. Given that elven chain is not included in the presented table of armor types, this lends towards the inference that it's not a base armor type. Clearly, at least one user here has drawn that inference, and that's the inference that we drew in creating the data files.

Given that the user can construct elven chain from the base armor types presented in the table, one could readily argue that "elven chain" represents a "derived" armor type instead of being a "base" armor type. It can also be readily argued that the base armor types presented in the table form the core set of components upon which any type of armor can be constructed, which therefore establishes them as an appropriate "base" set of armor types, with anything else being "derived".

Obviously, none of this is absolute. But, given that there is no specification either way and a purely subjective choice needs to be made, it's a well-reasoned and perfectly serviceable framework to utilize. It's also one that will likely be shared by a large percentage of the user population, as evidenced by the comments already posted.

We can argue the relative merits of whether it's pronounced "toe-may-toe" or "toe-mah-toe" till we're blue in the face. Without anything absolute either way from the SRD, we chose the framework that we did within the d20 files based on what seemed (a) accurate and (b) intuitive. If we determine it needs to be changed at some point in the future, it can be changed.

I have no intention of arguing subjective choices where there is no "right" answer. If a GM rules that elven chain is a "base armor type" for his game, then that is his prerogative. Since Hero Lab allows the desired armor to be constructed out of the necessary components, this is irrelevant to HL and something between the players and GM. In the end, the user is covered, either way. That's really all that matters, as far as I'm concerned.

-Rob
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dhuran

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I can get spells on a costum list just fine. The problem I'm having (running vh but have had it since spellcasting was added to the editor), is that no matter what I try, I can't seem to get my class to have any spells-per-day. The button's on top (of the class panel) for spells-per-day is always blank, and if I add a spell to my list, no spell tab appears and I have no spell castings.
Dhuran is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
At 11:01 PM 2/17/2007, you wrote:

>I can get spells on a costum list just fine. The problem I'm having
>(running vh but have had it since spellcasting was added to the
>editor), is that no matter what I try, I can't seem to get my class
>to have any spells-per-day. The button's on top (of the class panel)
>for spells-per-day is always blank, and if I add a spell to my list,
>no spell tab appears and I have no spell castings.

Hi there,

Could you email me the files that you're having this problem with?
Please send them to colen@wolflair.com so that I can take a look at them.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Dhuran

Old February 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Okay, the files are on their way (trying to manually add the dread necromancer class from hero's of horror).

Let me know if you got it.
Dhuran is offline   #20 Reply With Quote