Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Sometimes when I'm not at my PC, I have a game idea.

It would be nice to have a way to send an email, from a smartphone or a public computer, or even text to a special account and from there have it transferred into RW, maybe in the User Notes section.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:21 AM
It's an interesting idea, but I think there are a few technical and financial considerations.

Firstly, LWD would need to buy a new domain name for the email addresses (to say nothing of the expense of text receipt software) so that I could, for example, be Chemlak@realmworks.com.

Then there's the problem of what format data would need to be in to get it into the Realm correctly.

Presumably, you'd put the Realm name as the subject line, but the body of the email would have to include topic names, whether it's Story, Plot or World almanac, whether it's a new snippet, what category of snippet it is, whether it contains tags (many of which will be user-defined), and to guarantee it would work would need there to be absolutely zero errors in the body of the email, because otherwise it will need human intervention to make it work. At which point it's easier to just send yourself an email with the details and copy/paste.

Now, a Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.

Last edited by Chemlak; August 24th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post

Now, an ANDROID Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.
There fixed it
Spence is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
It's an interesting idea, but I think there are a few technical and financial considerations...

...At which point it's easier to just send yourself an email with the details and copy/paste.
[Teal'c] Indeed! *raises eyebrow* [/Teal'c]
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Quote:
Now, an Android Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.
There fixed it
Is there any other? (Worth noting?)
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Remember all the talk about the web-based interface? That's exactly where this feature would be handled. Users could login, access the notes for their realm, and jot a few ideas down via their smart phone. When they got home, the notes are waiting for refinement and integration into the realm.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Remember all the talk about the web-based interface? That's exactly where this feature would be handled. Users could login, access the notes for their realm, and jot a few ideas down via their smart phone. When they got home, the notes are waiting for refinement and integration into the realm.
Yes! I didn't forget about that at all... *whistles and shuffles off*
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
DeckOfManyThings

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
My commute is 45 minutes each way, gives me a lot of time to think about my game where I am not at liberty to login to a website. I, for one, would love a "Text message" option, where I can just fire up Siri and compose a text over voice and have it waiting for integration when I get back to RW.
DeckOfManyThings is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AzrofD

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:31 AM
+1 this. I don't need a text message option, but an App that interfaces with the normal voice commands makes good sense to me.

Such good sense.

Do another Kickstarter for the app. You can have more of my money.
AzrofD is offline   #9 Reply With Quote