Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

morindaest

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hi,
I recently purchased Hero Lab, and I've noticed that it's started crashing in Pathfinder whenever I try to memorize spells for a wizard. Has anyone else had this error? It's irritating.
morindaest is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm afraid I'll need more detail to diagnose this, since I can't duplicate it based on the information you've given me. HeroLab version? Wizard level? Spell level? Is it a specific spell that always fails? Is that spell a custom one you've added? Is the spell specialized or forbidden?

I'm going to send a personal message with my email address - please send me the saved portfolio you've been working with, and any steps I can follow from there to reproduce the error.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Hero Lab. I can't reproduce this bug myself, so I have a couple of questions that will help us track down your problem:

1) Hero Lab should give you an error message when you crash. Can you copy and paste it (right-click the message, Copy to Clipboard) into a forum post here, and also post the contents of any file referenced by the message? That should help us figure out where the problem is occurring.

2) Does the problem always happen, or only with a certain combination of things? For example, try creating a new, blank character, adding a single level of Wizard, and then memorizing spells. Does the bug happen then? Or does it only happen with one specific character you created? If you can describe the conditions under which the bug happens, or email me (colen@wolflair.com) a portfolio that always causes the bug to happen, that would really help.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
marklee

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Well I have this since 2005, and it is working nice. can you explain things a little.

marklee is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
If you are using a Vista machine you must run HL in administrator mode, or it will start up and just disappear. Not sure if that is the issue you are having but it sounds close.
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old September 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I am encountering this as well. After getting it on my main PC, I downloaded the trial to my laptop, which had not had HL installed before.

On both, I can duplicate the issue everytime. I simply create a new Pathfinder character (with yesterday's data files), add 1 level of wizard, go to the Wizard tab and click on "Add level 0 spells." or when trying to do this with the actual character, click on "Add level 1 specialized spells." did this as well.

I can't confirm it, but it appears that after this was thrown, if I click on the Spellbook, the names of the spells do not match the descriptions - almost like the index was thrown off.

If I click on Spellbook before clicking on the memorize button, it does allow me to click on the Add level 1 specialized spell button and it brings up a menu with a few spells. If I select one, it lists it on the memorized spell list, but has the following two sentences on one line:

"Excess level 0 specialized spells. Add level 1 specialized spells". At the bottom is an exception thrown that says, "Wizard: Add more specialized spells!"

Every time, the same error is thrown in the HL log files

C:\HeroLab\HeroLab.exe
3.4.a 197
ACCESS VIOLATION
Address: 0x0049a1cf
Type: bad read

My desktop pc runs XP64 SP2 and my laptop runs Windows7.

Last edited by enrious; September 12th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
enrious is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Tarthalion

Old September 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I'm having this issue as well. I am making a wizard and I can add spells to his spellbook just fine but when I try to add spells memorized the program crahes and the following gets dumped to the log:

C:\HeroLab\HeroLab.exe
3.4.a 197
ACCESS VIOLATION
Address: 0x0049a1cf
Type: bad read

I also went back and checked the spellbook after the crash and as the above poster noted, the descriptions no longer match the spell names.

I'm running Windows XP fully updated. Please help as I have a game in just a few days that I'll need this working for! Thanks.
Tarthalion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Tarthalion

Old September 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Just tried replicating the error with a couple of different builds and I'm getting the same error when I attempt to memorize spells no matter when or what type of wizard I'm making. I've tried both generalist and specialized wizards and it makes no difference. The moment I try to memorize spells boom...

Looks like it has something to do with the spellbook index specifically and not the process of memorizing spells.
Tarthalion is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarthalion View Post
Looks like it has something to do with the spellbook index specifically and not the process of memorizing spells.
I can confirm that I had no problems memorizing spells with a cleric, only with a wizard.
enrious is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Tarthalion

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrious View Post
I can confirm that I had no problems memorizing spells with a cleric, only with a wizard.
I just went and tried all the spellcasting classes and wizard is the only sore spot.
Tarthalion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote