Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Toblakai

Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
Can you run in both GM mode and player mode at the same time? I use my 70 inch TV as a second monitor for my gaming sessions to show pictures/maps/etc. Now that I have realm works can I set it up to have the player view on one monitor and GM view on the other?
Toblakai is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
The player view can be on one screen while the main GM window is on another screen.

The term "player mode" is slightly different, since it changes the entire application so that you can only see the topics that a player would be able to see if he synced.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SenahBirdR

Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:53 AM
To be specific on how to do this:

- Connect to your TV as an extension/2nd monitor based on how that works with your specific tv and computer.

- Run your Realm in GM mode.

- Open a player view tab. Leave this open as this is how you manage everything.

- In player view tab in the upper right is a number of controls. The rightmost symbol is a monitor w/ magnifying glass symbol and a pull down. The pull down is what monitor you want the player view to display on. Select the TV. The leftmost symbol is a monitor with a dotted circle. Click that symbol until the dotted circle is yellow. The player screen should pop on top of TV. The Player View tab in your GM screen is how you control what is displayed on their monitor.

I have used this two times now and it is a wonderful way to play.

Alternatively, if you have a second computer with at least its own player license (a gm license can work too but it cannot be the same as your main) a player can manage the display with duplicate mode fairly easily. That can save yourself time of managing their view, but has the disadvantage of you having to reveal something, then waiting for them to find and display it.
SenahBirdR is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks, that was what I was looking for!
Toblakai is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenahBirdR View Post
Alternatively, if you have a second computer with at least its own player license (a gm license can work too but it cannot be the same as your main) a player can manage the display with duplicate mode fairly easily. That can save yourself time of managing their view, but has the disadvantage of you having to reveal something, then waiting for them to find and display it.
Actually, the sequence would be:
GM reveals a topic.
GM closes the realm and syncs the realm with the cloud.
GM reopens the realm and gets it back into the state before he closed it while...
Player closes the realm and syncs the realm down from the cloud.
Player opens the realm.
Player looks for the specific topic.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 24th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Actually, the sequence would be:
GM reveals a topic.
GM closes the realm and syncs the realm with the cloud.
GM reopens the realm and gets it back into the state before he closed it while...
Player closes the realm and syncs the realm down from the cloud.
Player opens the realm.
Player looks for the specific topic.
Seriously? It doesn't sync the reveals while playing a game? Realm works value just seriously went down.

Is this possibly a feature that will be added soon?
Toblakai is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Yes. For some definitions of soon. But there are quite a number of features already earmarked for sooner.

The web version could bring this many steps closer to implementation depending on whether editing on the web will make that material available immediately. So it could be within the next year possibly.

That all said, live synch is probably not as high a priority for many people as many of the other features that have been requested over the last two years. If this is an important feature to you though, make sure to make it a priority in the upcoming poll for the next set of features for the RW team to tackle.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old April 25th, 2016, 06:43 AM
It does seriously hamper it's utility, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Seriously? It doesn't sync the reveals while playing a game? Realm works value just seriously went down.

Is this possibly a feature that will be added soon?
adzling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 25th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
The intention is for the GM to use RW during the game, while all the players sit around the table and interact with each other (not spend their time staring at a screen).

Between sessions the players can recall what has happened in the campaign so far using their player edition of RW that syncs the revealed content from the GM's realm.
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 25th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The intention is for the GM to use RW during the game, while all the players sit around the table and interact with each other (not spend their time staring at a screen).

Between sessions the players can recall what has happened in the campaign so far using their player edition of RW that syncs the revealed content from the GM's realm.
That may be the way some people will use it, but it wasn't really the way I was expecting it to work. In this modern day of the interwebs I had just assumed the content was would be synced automatically as things were revealed. Wasn't really expecting a pre-1999 method of updating.

I will still use it as you describe and still use my TV when playing at my house, and I guess turn the laptop around when not at my place. Maybe realm works should sell some sort of swivel stand to put your laptop on :P
Toblakai is offline   #10 Reply With Quote