Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

duhtroll

Old August 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
howdy - forgive if this has been asked, or even solved/discussed already.

I have 4 devices on which I use Hero Lab. Depending on where I am and what I am doing, it is easier to use the device that is there vs. unpacking another.

I would like to have cloud storage for all of my creations so that I can access them and work on one file and not have 4 copies of every character, etc..

Who has done this and what have they used? I'm looking for free if possible, low subscription rate if not. I have been using remote desktop and leaving everything on my home PC, but it would be easier to load the files onto the device from the cloud and save them that way to avoid overwriting copies.

Thanks in advance.
duhtroll is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
pelthin

Old August 19th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Dropbox would be free and easy to synch
pelthin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
berdman

Old August 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have not done this for Herolab specifically, but use it for synching other things.

Try Dropbox. There is a free version. THey have clients for most platforms.

You can install the client software on your dekstop/laptop etc and point it to a folder to sync with. Store your portfolios there or copy them there when you make changes. The client will synch with Dropbox and then on your other machines it will synch when they are online.

I use it for synching Photos from my desktop to my laptop and my portfolio on my iPad.

It is a lot simpler than the description I just gave.
berdman is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old August 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Dropbox is the easiest way to go, even with a free account. This is how I
do it.
TehBagder is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old August 19th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah I have Hero Lab on two computers and I use dropbox for my files.
Krimson is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
I came to ask/post something similiar. It would be nice if Lone Wolf offered a "Cloud Storage" for characters.

So a PC could create his character, and the GM could just select it from the "cloud" and add it to his portfolio. So then a PC can simply update it, it would be live for the GM and if the GM adds XP or condition affects, etc, it would be live for the player.

As a bonus, an option for "GM Approval" would be nice as well where PC updates do not go "live" until a GM approves it.

Drop Box/Google Drive are alternatives for now, but isn't "Live". Also they require software installs and on work PC's where we are running HL from a USB drive, we can't install drop box

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old August 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all replies.

Will give dropbox a look.
duhtroll is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
I think a cloud type storage process will be available for Realm Works when it comes out. Rob gave an excellent demo on it at Gen Con last week.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
As chiefweasel indicated above, it is our plan to support cloud storage of characters in some manner after we get the Realm Works product launched and established. None of the details have been determined at this point, and this capability is not expected until the first half of next year, so Dropbox and similar tools are your best bet in the interim.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Rob, along the lines of cloud storage, something that would be really nice and help is a change on how Hero Labs deals with Portfolio's.

If you could add the concept of a "character" file (as in a single hero) and allow Portfolio's to "link" to that hero file (maybe in read only mode only or a choice), it would make things a lot easier.

As a GM, I could then have a shared network folder (or cloud solution) where each PC can own their own "hero" file and my portfolio would show those hero's, but i would not have to delete and re-import their characters from their portfolio everytime they made a change.

As it stands now, having multiple people share the same portfolio for editing is proving to be an issue.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #10 Reply With Quote