Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
HL is tactical while RW is strategic.

I use HL for the actual game sessions while I envision using RW for planning, scheming and information dissemination. As such, HL is the more logical location for traps and hazards. It needs to get imported into RW just like NPC sheets.
RW is intended for use during play. You can easily place pins on maps to indicate the locations of traps and hazards. And you can easily annotate those pins with the details of the trap/hazards. Since a critical component of traps/hazards is their position on the map, it makes significantly more sense in my mind to have that information in RW - tied to the map. And since the details of traps/hazards are generally static in nature (i.e. nothing is "constructed"), the utility of HL is minimal, which simply reinforces their handling within RW over HL from my perspective.

This is definitely something that will get played with and shaken out by the RW Beta team over the upcoming months. It's quite possible that I'm wrong on this. Once we get feedback from the RW Beta team, we can decide how best to proceed with handling this stuff in RW or HL.
rob is offline   #261
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I guess seeing my post moved here tells me that there is currently no way to print a spell list for non spellbook types.
mirtos is offline   #262
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
RW is intended for use during play. You can easily place pins on maps to indicate the locations of traps and hazards. And you can easily annotate those pins with the details of the trap/hazards. Since a critical component of traps/hazards is their position on the map, it makes significantly more sense in my mind to have that information in RW - tied to the map. And since the details of traps/hazards are generally static in nature (i.e. nothing is "constructed"), the utility of HL is minimal, which simply reinforces their handling within RW over HL from my perspective.
Still, isnt the way its used in place less tactical, but more constant informative?

From what I understand the maps on RW arent really meant to be tactical? This is why RW isnt including a VTT or a realtime update. When I think of maps and tactical traps, I thinka VTT/Server like either Maptools or rolld20.
mirtos is offline   #263
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Still, isnt the way its used in place less tactical, but more constant informative?

From what I understand the maps on RW arent really meant to be tactical? This is why RW isnt including a VTT or a realtime update. When I think of maps and tactical traps, I thinka VTT/Server like either Maptools or rolld20.
Look at the incremental reveal of maps within the Kickstarter video. Those maps would be revealed to the players on a separate display during the game. With RW, we're not providing full player interaction like a VTT, but we're definitely providing the ability to display material to the players during the game. It's on the maps that the traps and hazards would be placed and revealed, so that seems like a better place, and I may be wrong.

I've got tons of stuff I need to stay focused on, including code that needs to be written for the Beta release that has to go out before we bring the new Beta members onboard. So I need to excuse myself from this particular discussion and get back to work. We'll definitely be able to see how this will work best during the Beta process and take it from there.
rob is offline   #264
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Look at the incremental reveal of maps within the Kickstarter video. Those maps would be revealed to the players on a separate display during the game. With RW, we're not providing full player interaction like a VTT, but we're definitely providing the ability to display material to the players during the game. It's on the maps that the traps and hazards would be placed and revealed, so that seems like a better place, and I may be wrong.

I've got tons of stuff I need to stay focused on, including code that needs to be written for the Beta release that has to go out before we bring the new Beta members onboard. So I need to excuse myself from this particular discussion and get back to work. We'll definitely be able to see how this will work best during the Beta process and take it from there.
Fair enough. any comments on the spell question i asked?
mirtos is offline   #265
AEIOU

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I use a VTT for actual gameplay and will likely continue to do so. RW may do map reveals but that's only going to be useful (for me) for between sessions for tracking progression. You can't track character/NPC movement or effects or game mechanics or initiative or or or.... You can't integrate and automate many of the tedious parts of RPG's that bog the games down.

I know just enough to be dangerous.... Correct me if I'm shortsighted or don't understand the big picture, but I envision the following:

RW will be great for developing a game and maintaining continuity during and between sessions.
HL for building and tracking the nuts and bolts of each encounter.
VTT to actually play with both local and remote players.

Sure you can use RW for playing and revealing maps. Sure you can use HL for tracking combat. But a VTT is the better choice for actually running games if you want to use minis as it incorporates it all into one.

For me and anyone else using a VTT, making traps/hazards an NPC in HL will allow us to import into the VTT for actual game play and to import into RW for tracking on the maps for planning and continuity. If you make trap/hazard implementation a RW-only option without also implementing an export for VTT's, it will quite frankly be useless except as a reference to many of us.
AEIOU is offline   #266
Lord Hobie

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Is there any way (short of altering the output) to enter specific notes about equipment items in a character's possession? I don't want to alter the item description for every character that has the item, just to make a few notes about specific characteristics of the particular possession in question.

Thanks in advance,
Lord Hobie
Lord Hobie is offline   #267
Unseelie

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:50 AM
House rule for pets, familiars, & animal companions to act on same init as their 'owner'. Or, some other way of easily setting the init in the tactical console for multiple combatants at the same time.

With the clarifications of Animal Archive, I know this is not how it's meant to be played but it's pretty clear from the comments that a significant number of players do run things that way.
Unseelie is offline   #268
Sendric

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:06 AM
The tactical console allows you to manually set the initiative. Just click on the number and you can change it.
Sendric is offline   #269
Unseelie

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
The tactical console allows you to manually set the initiative. Just click on the number and you can change it.
Yes, but I have five PCs with pets in my game. I want the ability to not have to change it manually for each pet.
Unseelie is offline   #270
Closed Thread