Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

Prethen

Old January 26th, 2020, 05:21 PM
I've just created a Human (Versatile, Varisian) Paladin (Background=Warrior) and a couple things seem off.

The interface is warning that I need to pick another language. Plus, it already added another language (Varisian) even though I only have an Int=10 and not special feats (or anything else otherwise, that I'm aware of) that should allow me to have anything other than Common. So, why was Varisian added as a default and why am I allowed to pick another language?

Also, because of the Warrior Background, I've double up on the Intimidation skill. The skill interface is warning that I've picked it twice, but I really have no choice in the matter.
Prethen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 26th, 2020, 05:53 PM
If you're using a first printing rulebook, check the errata from Paizo (https://paizo.com/products/btq01zp3?...-Core-Rulebook) - specifically, the Human section, about the change to the number of languages a human gets. That you've gotten Varisian as a bonus language either means you're making a PFS character - check out the PFS rules for ethnicities and their languages, or you've turned on the "Ethnicities grant bonus languages" house rule on the Settings page, which grants that PFS rule to other characters.

I'm not able to reproduce the Paladin of Iomedae/Warrior issue - I can get to a point where I can see that error message, but clicking the checkmark on the Intimidation skill in the Warrior column removes the error and lets me choose a different skill for Warrior to have made trained.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old January 26th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Also, there are some skills that may not show up and need to be added that can be chosen over the single skill that is available, at least that was the case when I made my Ranger. I believe there was some Lore Skills, if I am not mistaken.
thaX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Prethen

Old January 27th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Mathias, I see the errata says "1+Int", so that will mean I get 1 additional language. And, yes, I forgot to note this is for PFS.

So, why was Varisian automatically chosen as one additional language (plus, I don't see a way to remove it, although it makes sense that I do speak that so I'd leave it) and I'm getting a warning that I have one additional language (essentially a second optional) which doesn't appear to jive with the rules as I understand them.

As far as having the skill warning, since two different areas of the character overlap with having the same skill trained, I don't think that allows me to automatically choose a different skill. I think the overlap just remains an overlap and I lose out on that one aspect of the overlapping feature(s). I would think that HLO would recognize it's a "valid" overlap and there's no need to warn...correct?

Thanks!
Prethen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 27th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Core rulebook, pg 60, 1st paragraph has specific instructions on how to handle a background's skill that overlaps with something on the class that grants the same skill.

This page: http://www.organizedplayfoundation.o...player-basics/ in section 3 of Character Creation covers the PFS rules for ethnicities.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Prethen

Old January 27th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Mathias...you got me! Once again HL proves to be better at "reading" the rules than I am and hence the validation I feel when I purchased HLO (and based on my very positive experience from HLC). Sorry for the mistaken thread...totally my misunderstanding/overlooking the rules. Kudos to your team once again for their thoroughness at getting this right!
Prethen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Prethen

Old January 29th, 2020, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to make the updates to my character in accordance to the rules noted here. The extra language was simple enough, but attending to the extra skill that I need to use since Warfare Lore overlaps between my Martial (Athletics) Background and my Swords school choice for PFS. If I uncheck the overlapped Warfare Lore under Swords, then try applying an extra skill under Champion, I get a warning saying I'm missing a skill point for Swords and have too many for Champion (3 of 2). The Martial (Athletics) column has a fixed setting for that skill and cannot be removed. How should I appropriately deal with this? For instance, I'd like to add Diplomacy as a trained skill.

Thank you.

Last edited by Prethen; January 29th, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
Prethen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 29th, 2020, 10:35 AM
In the program, one of the options in the gear icon at the top right is "Bug report". Please use that, and then you can work with support to trade screenshots and figure out what's not set up correctly here.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Prethen

Old January 30th, 2020, 12:53 PM
I logged a bug for that. And, oddly enough, it turns out the extra (3rd) language is also a bug. I'll log that one as well. The wording evidently was improperly stated in the guide (based on info I just saw from one of PF2's creators). Basically, a Human just initially gets Common+Regional (and whatever bonus ones given by Int).
Prethen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote