Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Is there a way to make a snippet template? For example, for stat blocks, instead of cutting and pasting from an RTF file, it would be nice if I could select a snippet template.

Currently, I have a text expander installed on my computer (Phrase Express) that allows me to insert plain or rich-formatted text anywhere I can put my cursor. So currently, I add a statblock snippet in RW, I type "statblock#" in the editing area and Phrase Express will insert a fully formatted statblock that I can then fill in with values.

I would be nice, however, if there was a template feature built in.
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old December 14th, 2014, 05:49 AM
You can't creat a "snippet" template as far as I know. However, you can create entries and use them like templates. For examples, I have created an "NPC" template in the "people" category. The template is formatted with all the snippets and formatting I like. Whenever I want to add a new NPC to my realm I simply duplicate that entry and rename it. I like to use tables a lot in my NPC entries. This way I spend e time to set up my tables and formatting only once and then keep duplicating. I am prepping a 7th Sea game so I have templates for villains, heroes, brutes, and henchmen in the people category. You could create templates for anything you are going to enter repeatitively.
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 14th, 2014, 10:31 PM
That makes sense. I'll certainly make a template topic for Monsters/Enemies. However, stat blocks are useful snippets in a number of topics. I might want to have a stat block in a scene for an NPC that is just a one-scene extra, but still too unique to simply link to an entry in the Monsters/Enemies list.

In the meantime, I find a text expander to be a huge boost to productivity when using RW. I've used Active Words heavily in the past, but have been using Phrase Express for the past few years. There are open source versions out there as well. But Phrase Express supports RTF-formatted text and provides a pretty sophisticated scripting capability, so I can create a stat block, for example, and be prompted to enter in the various stats and then have it render the formatted stat block.
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM
If you have a HeroLab portfolio stored in RW, then you can see the stat block without any more work.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 15th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If you have a HeroLab portfolio stored in RW, then you can see the stat block without any more work.
It would be nice to be able to use HeroLab, but it doesn't support D&D 5th ed. Hopefully LWD can work something out with WoTC.
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 14th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I finally got some try to do this. Like MNB, I'm playing 5th ed and it's still not supported. I can see laying out a topic with standard formatting and then copying it as a workaround. The odd thing I notice is that if I format (within RW) a snippet using bullets and then cut and paste into another snippet, all the bullets disappear. Everything else seems so I'm wondering if it is a bug or something to do with the internal formatting that is used. Is it just me?
Gord is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 14th, 2015, 07:53 PM
No, it is not just you. Bullets will also disappear when you use CNTRL+M to merge a snippet with the following snippet. Other formatting come over fine, just not bullets.
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 14th, 2015, 09:00 PM
If you haven't already, make sure you report the formatting disappearing as a bug.

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 14th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Done.
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 15th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Reported it as well
Gord is offline   #10 Reply With Quote