Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 31st, 2020, 10:32 AM
So, since we are all social distancing, let talk about VTT's - Virtual Table Tops.

These have been around a while, but are more important now than ever.

Which ones have you used, and which ones do you like?

I am getting familiar with both roll20.net and Foundry VTT.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 31st, 2020, 11:35 AM
I have d20Pro and MapTools, but other than a once a year long weekend with my oldest and dearest the only gaming I do is by online forums (MythWeavers), so I have very little experience in "live" use of either of them.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 31st, 2020, 02:08 PM
We've been using Roll20 w/ Jitsi Meet for telegaming. It's OK and we're kind of stuck with it because several of the guys don't have computers to run Fantasy Grounds, so we need the web interface. Otherwise I'd say Fantasy Grounds is the way to go. The Savage Worlds support is light years ahead of Roll20. Heck, I use FG at the table most of the time anyway for managing my character sheet and making rolls and such even without the others being on it. Never tried Foundry, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old March 31st, 2020, 02:36 PM
Foundry is new, it is still in beta and is due for release soon.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 31st, 2020, 02:48 PM
Seems very extensible, but it also has like zero Savage Worlds modules for it. It is browser-based, though, which is a plus for my group. I think we'll stick to Roll20 for now and hope the Fantasy Grounds Unity adds some functionality like that in the relatively near future.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 1st, 2020, 08:39 AM
I was a Kickstarter backer for Roll20, and had a mentor account. I've switched over to Fantasy Grounds.

That combined with the things the Roll20 devs have said in the past put a very sour taste in my mouth.

I also have an 11-seat license for d20Pro, but it just didn't appeal to me.

I wish I had the time to dig into MapTool, it seems like a far greater VTT than Roll20.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old April 1st, 2020, 11:01 AM
I've looked a little at Foundry, d20Pro, Fantasy Grounds, Roll20 and MapTools, and they all have some nice features but what's sold me on Roll20 (so far) is I don't have to install anything on my computer, poke holes in my firewall, etc. Even FG Unity and Foundry require me to run a server/service on my own hardware. I want something where everyone including me as the GM can just connect from any device, no matter where we are and get the game started.
Phrll is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old April 1st, 2020, 11:13 AM
OK, I can see that Fantasy Grounds is well supported, but also quite expensive to pick up even just the core game book materials. They want to charge you as much as you paid for the book itself for the data packs.

That being said, WOW there is a lot of Savage Worlds material for Fantasy Grounds.

So.

Being that I am a) single, b) able to work from home, so I still have a job, c) slightly ocd, and d) silly - I have gone in on roll20.net, Foundry VTT, and Fantasy Grounds. I am putting together a campaign and am deciding which of these I will use.

As far as the whole net-based vs running a game from my machine, I am a programmer, and I have access to network technicians in-house. So far all that has been needed for Foundry VTT is a port-forwarding. This can seem daunting, but is really pretty simple. I have not worked all the way through the FG campaign setup yet, just got it installed and need to figure out how to put in a map.

Onward and Upward.

_
_

Last edited by CapedCrusader; April 1st, 2020 at 11:19 AM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 1st, 2020, 12:48 PM
Well, the entire text of the PDFs for those settings is also in those data packs. The entire thing, including artwork, so in that sense I can see why they charge so much. The hard part is it's not all that accessible outside of the program, so there's a tradeoff there.

As for net-based, sure FGU is still a program on your computer (for now, being on Unity opens up a ton of options there which might make it all browser-accessible in the future, or so the devs have hinted at as a possibility) but you no longer need to be a host with FGU, you can have it all cloud-hosted instead so no need for setting up any port-forwarding or the like. FGU is in early-access still, though, although the "Demo" version is free (you just can't really GM a game with the Demo version, but you can definitely join a game). That hosting also should add (may already have, but I haven't looked at it) the ability to have open games as well, letting anyone join until you close out a game or the like. A VTT find-a-game lobby, if you will. Lots of potential there.

Oh, and being Unity also means a strong potential for it to run natively on not just PCs and Macs but Linux and tablet OSes as well. Those aren't all there yet, mind you, but that suggests to me there's going to be a big upside to FGU for the future.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old April 1st, 2020, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I went with Unity. (Hard to call it FGU - old schoolness lol FGU is Fantasy Games Unlimited, the old RPG you needed two hours and a calculator to create a character for...)

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #10 Reply With Quote