Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
It's my understanding that Lone Wolf is a fairly small shop. Building a dataset from the ground up is a fairly time-intensive endeavor.
FifthWanderer is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Wow I guess i didn't read GR's annoucement close enough either that or i was blinded by my excitement for DCA! I COMPLETELY overlooked the mention of the 3rd edition of m&m. I just pray to the gods of RPG development that This 'new' Edition of mutants and masterminds is NOT in an attempt to bring the superhero game more in line with 4e d20 - GOD THAT WOULD BE A CATASTOPHIC MISTAKE for what is for the most part is a great flowing and intutative game system. as a prime example one of the mayjor selling points of current m&m is the lack of conventional "classes structure " in favor of a more open albeit a tad more accounting-style character building. as I understand 4e at t'is core are very narrow focused power stuctures and narrowly defined classes.this may or may not "simplify" creation. in my humble opinion this would be a giant step backward 4 this great game and totally inappropreate for superhero games. its already sucked most of the life from D&D. I hope my fears are unfounded.

Last edited by atlarman; May 13th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos and gramatical errors
atlarman is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RedBeardSean

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I completely agree with "atlarman," except in regards to spelling.
RedBeardSean is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Same here. (even tho my spelling can be worse)
dartnet is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Sketchpad

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We will be supporting Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition as a separate game system for Hero Lab. It will require a chunk of work from us to convert the old M&M data files over to the new system, which will be treated as a separate game.
Hiya Colen,
With the license switch, could it be possible for those that invested in the 2e license to switch to 3e? I don't need the 2e support, as I'll be switching over to 3e when it comes out and hate having paid for something I won't be using anymore. Is this a viable option?

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
Sketchpad is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Someone asked a similar question on the M&M forums. Here's what I posted there:

Quote:
As others have said, it's hard for us to give discounts or free copies in situations like this, for a variety of reasons. M&M3 isn't going to be out for several months now - not until fall this year, according to GR. That means that if you purchased the M&M2 package for Hero Lab in March, and M&M3 comes out in, say, October or November (just an example - I don't know when the actual release date will be), you'll have had 6+ months use of Hero Lab and the M&M2e data files, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

As I said in my post above, when 3e comes out we won't be abandoning 2e - we'll still be adding new features to Hero Lab, fixing bugs in the 2e data files, and incorporating new features like we have been. So the 2e data files won't be useless when 3e comes out - you can keep using them as long as your gaming group keeps playing 2nd edition.

Not only that, as others have stated, we already give you a discount when buying a new game system - when M&M3 comes out, buying it as an add-on will only cost you $20, which is 1/3 less than the cost of Hero Lab initially. So, my advice is to use Hero Lab with the M&M2 data set to help you enjoy your current M&M2 game - when your gaming group converts over to M&M3 in 6+ months time, you can upgrade to the new data files at our $20 discounted rate.

Hope this helps.
Colen is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
RedBeardSean

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have to say, Colen, that this seems reasonable to me. Hell, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of the M&M2 dataset. A discount is always nice, but supporting the folks who make good with their products is good, too. Lone Wolf might not have all the datasets I'm looking for, but the ones you do have, you do great with.

Last edited by RedBeardSean; May 16th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
RedBeardSean is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old May 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Heh, I too would love to swap a license for M&M3E(the Authoring Kit, actually, as I haven't been able to use it at all, due to my completely out of date programming skills), but I understand if that's not an option.

More importantly, do you guys have an estimated release window for M&M3E? I understand if you can't give a date (after all, this is a lot of work we're asking you to do), I'm just wondering if you've already been working on it and what you estimate your target date for it to be?

Oh, and I know this really isn't for me to say, but I am perfectly happy to just get the M&M3E stuff if the DC Adventures license is too expensive to get. Though, if you CAN get the DC Adventures license, I hope it'll be worth your time and effort!

Thanks again for your hard work with Hero Lab, guys! I can't wait to use Hero Lab with DC Adventures, license or not! =D
Shadowchaser is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
We want to have the M&M3 data package available on the day that the M&M3 Heroes Handbook goes on sale, like we did with Pathfinder last year. If the stars align it may be out earlier (for use with DC Adventures), but that's still to be determined.
Colen is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We want to have the M&M3 data package available on the day that the M&M3 Heroes Handbook goes on sale, like we did with Pathfinder last year. If the stars align it may be out earlier (for use with DC Adventures), but that's still to be determined.
Yay! I sure hope that's the case! You guys don't do preorders, do you? It'd be cool to just have the program 'Update' with DC Adve- er- I mean M&M 3E when you guys get it working, without me having to run and buy it then.
Shadowchaser is offline   #20 Reply With Quote