Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

NeoEvaX

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:03 PM
So I read on facebook that the dropbox support is going away, because of the deprecated of their v1 API.

I have not done all my research, but can't Hero Lab (ipad specifically) be upgraded to the v2 Dropbox API?

Deprecation announcement:
https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers...atastore-apis/

v1-v2 Migration Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/r...igration-guide

I might be missing something huge, but I love the dropbox sync. I use my ipad and move to my computer all the time.

Well there is my worry, and my 2 cents. With a little research I would love to help out migrating (I am a developer), for what its worth.
NeoEvaX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:14 PM
Well, this will kill iPad support for HL, especially for users that use both iPad and Windows platforms (and the multiple licenses with it). For me, it'll be too cumbersome to use the HL iPad since I don't use it exclusively and moving a .por file to it (or from it) will be, as I just stated, cumbersome.

I'm hoping LW are developing an alternative option to support this migration between the platforms, maybe support for Google Drive.
Krothos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:21 PM
Agreed. I would probabbly just stop using the ipad, which (in my opinion) is a MUCH better experience for playing a single character. I even enjoy it more for building characters sometimes.

Lets hope they migrate over to v2 (so dropbox support never really goes away), or they move to something else just as good/easy.
NeoEvaX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM
So you have official confirmation that LW is dropping Dropbox support? This you heard from Colen?

Honestly if you heard from anyone but Colen you heard non-official information. Only Colen can tell you 100% sure what is going to happen.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old May 3rd, 2017, 03:32 PM
It was shared on the hero lab Facebook page about 4 hours ago. I would link it, but I am having difficulty getting a link on my phone.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

Last edited by NeoEvaX; May 3rd, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
NeoEvaX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM
The post is real. I posted it on Facebook and on our Website. Unfortunately, no amount of dislike or outcries can alter the situation. It is just something we can no longer make use of due to their changes. Square peg, round hole. We would love to say we will have this fixed tomorrow but we're a small company and only have so many resources available to assign to all the many tasks that need accomplished.

We are looking into alternatives and hope to have a better solution by Gen Con. Who knows, maybe we will go online and won't need Dropbox at all!
BJ is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:56 PM
+1 to LWD hosting their own server for .por files to moved about!
Grey Mage is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:10 PM
So to clarify, this means I can no longer use dropbox links for update sources?
TobyFox2002 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:26 PM
Does this impact saving a portfolio to DropBox, and opening with either a laptop or desktop, and if any changes were made then saving/overwriting that file?

If dropbox loses the ability to sync, from one access point (laptop) to another (desktop), that will basically end the usefulness of it.
Ualaa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
So to clarify, this means I can no longer use dropbox links for update sources?
This is related to the iPad client only.

Dropbox links that are used on the desktop for downloading files still work, assuming that links work for other stuff too.
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote