Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

SAbel

Old January 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hey Mathias,
Happy New year
the wiki page is; Creature Specification (Savage); in the "Internal Approach" section which I was attempting to use to fill the needed eval but I do not need Dtypes since the Doctor Who game is based on D6 only. Attributes are rated 1 and up, the game system works with Attribute + Skill +(modifiers that apply) + 2D6 = result VS a DC number. Humas have attributes that are set between 1 - 6 with average of a 3, Aliens (such as Time Lords) start with a bonus to Attibute (S) and may exceed the "human limits" of 1 to 6.
SAbel is online now   #11 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Okay Working in Doctor Who I have run into two stumbles.

1. Skills are all listed on the character sheet there is only 12 (like in 4E/3.5 ect) but once a skill is brought to level 3 (bought with CPs @ 1 CP/ skill level) the Player has the options to add a(n) Area of Expertise[AoE] (or multiples) this cost is 1 CP per Area of Expertise, at creation and AoE is used defined Example Skill Medicine could have an AoE of Doctor, or Disease, Wounds ect. So I am not sure how to achieve this one.
I have the skills in. I have them working for CPs. I have no clue how to set up the Areas of Expertise let alone allowing multiples. This is a suggested option but may be turned of by the GM (something that would need to be allowed in the clipboard options but that is for later I would think, still looking ahead)

2.The game has Traits (defined as talents, hang-ups and abilities) Traits come in 2 major groups Good and Bad, they have 3 catagories which define the cost of the Trait.
Minor, Major & Special.

Minor = +/- 1 CP (good/bad)
Major = +/- 2 CP (good/bad)
Special= various CP and they can reduce the characters story points maximum.
*** Story points is a set number for all characters = 12 points, but these points are effected by characters design AKA if your alien you may have less b/c you get special attributes/skills/ or gear to start or some special traits reduce your story points. Story points are spent durning the game to effect dice rolls, find clues, alter the game to help the players (and some NPCs).

I have the tab_abilities.dat/ thing_abilities.dat for Traits I have created tag groups for the Traits as follows
<identity group="GoodTrait"/>
<identity group="BadTrait"/>
<identity group="Minor"/>
<identity group="Major"/>
<identity group="Special"/>
I am having a problem with Traits(aka abilites) working off of character points. I have them adding/ subtracting but they only add to the "special Abilites" amount not CPs I am stuck in the area of having abilities cost go to the CP amount instead of the defult "ablilities/special abilities" amounts. I have looked at the Wiki in referance to Hindrances but did not think I need the seperation of Hinderances/Edges from abilities but maybe I am wrong.
Example of Trait (aka Ability)
<thing
id="abAnimalFr"
name="Animal Friendship"
compset="Ability"
isunique="yes"
description="Description goes here">

<tag group="GoodTrait" tag="Ability"/>
<tag group="Minor" tag="Ability"/>

<eval index="1" phase="Setup" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
#resmax[resAbility] += field[abiMajor].value - 1
]]></eval>

</thing>

The hardest part is going to be the special Examples are "Time Agent" cost = 2 CP and 2 Story points, or "Experienced" = 3 Story points but the character gains +2 CP and +2 Skill points, and some are multiples "Cyborg" = 1-3 CP user choice.
I am open for any help here.

I figure I am going to have to add Story Points maybe removing PP and converting that area.

*** Oh yea PS I forgot this stumble block (probably sub-consciences) The dame has not Hit Points! you take damage to your attributes, altering them during the combat and for recovery time after (another use of Story Points) so damage would have to be delt to those without really removing the Abilities. Of Course heres a Good one Init is done by your actions in order with ties going to attributes, Talkers, Movers, Doers, Fighters interesting hun? Okay thats all for tonight Work in the early AM which starts out with a big meeting Yummy
SAbel is online now   #12 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Mathias back in post 7 you gave me a bound script for the Traits.str file which I have in but I am not sure how/ what to do with this eval that I have in place, which limited skills to 50 (a lvl I do nt think anyone would hit) how should I mod it or do I just drop it?

<!-- Skills have No Maximum trait value -->
<eval index="1" phase="Initialize" priority="3000"><![CDATA[
field[trtMaximum].value = 50
]]></eval>
Thanks Sean
SAbel is online now   #13 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I'll come back to item 1 (specialized skills branch off at a certain point) when I have more time to write. It's do-able, but it'll take a bit of time to explain thouroughly. In the meantime, open up the Cortex files in HeroLab (even if you haven't purchased that system, use them in demo mode). Their skill system uses the same mechanic, so you'll want to study the results, so you know what you're trying to duplicate.

You shouldn't create identity groups to identify characteristics of things. If you create an identity group, EVERY instance of the thing has that tag - so how are you going to identify that THIS is a good trait, and THAT is a bad trait, when both of them have both identity tags. Instead, use tags created in the tags.1st file.

<group
id="TraitHelp">
<value id="Good"/>
<value id="Bad"/>
<value id="Major"/>
<value id="Minor"/>
<value id="Special"/>
</group>

Again, study the Cortex files. Their traits seem to work very similarly. You'll probably want to break good and bad traits into separate components with a common shared component, as is doe in the Cortex files.

I'll come back to the rest of your questions when I have more time.

For the future, you really need to break your questions up into multiple threads. ONE question per thread. These huge threads for all three of the game systems you're pursuing are becoming hard to track.
Mathias is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Another note - the Authoring Kit forum is for questions relating to how to use the authoring kit, or create a game system with it. This is the User Projects forum, which is more for users to use when coordinating their efforts, or annoucing their files.
Mathias is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Okay I shall make a new spot in the User Forum for this. I have removed the Tags and made the Traithelp group now
SAbel is online now   #16 Reply With Quote
Eryx_UK

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the thread necromancy but I was wondering if anyone managed to complete this project?

"For how should man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his father,
and the temples of his gods."
Eryx_UK is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 17th, 2014, 07:20 PM
More thread necro. I've got a set of data files for this game almost ready for testing if anyone is interested. Will post here.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #18 Reply With Quote