Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

whitewolf32

Old February 13th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I've ran D&D 5e campaigns for the last few years using MS Word and Visio charts for story boarding... Not ideal, but, also not bad for the price. (Free) Have both applications through work.

So, I'm on my 60 day money back guarantee period of RW as a GM and a few questions I have. Is there a way to use external content hosted by other websites in RW so if I want a random wondering monster table I can just go to my Links list and click on the link I need to generate that without having to document the websites outside of RW? I'd like to just have RW up with all the links in one tab at my disposal. I click what I need and a browser tab opens to the site.

I tried a HTML entry, but it lets me put the website in, but nothing else happens after I exit edit mode. When I click the HTML graphic, it just says no content to display... Not what I would like to happen. ....

Some examples of my reference sites are, my assumption is they would work as HTML links the same as they do here in the forums?:

magic shop generator

NPC Builder DND 5e
Spell search
whitewolf32 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 14th, 2018, 07:34 AM
I am not sure what you want.

A link that opens a page in your browser or - depending on the filetype - starts Word and loads a document?

Or is it something entirely different?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
whitewolf32

Old February 14th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I am not sure what you want.

A link that opens a page in your browser or - depending on the filetype - starts Word and loads a document?

Or is it something entirely different?
A weblink that opens a browser window to that link.

The idea being, I can create a DM list of references in Realmworks... Click the link and have a browser open to that link. One place to rule them all....

1. I enter the list of links into RW as HTML links with a label description e.g. Random Shop Generator: https:www.mysource.com

2. During a gaming session I can bring up my reference list and click on the one I need.

3. A web browser opens to the link I clicked on and I can navigate webpage outside of RW.

4. I go back to RW and move to the next part of the story as needed (Realmworks stays running in the back ground so I can switch back to it.)
whitewolf32 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
whitewolf32

Old February 14th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I probably over complicated the statement, here's how I was thinking it should work.

1. I enter in a label and then the weblink in a user note, or other object that I can quickly reference in Realmworks.

2. It may be about 10 links to reference material I've accrued:
Random Shop generator: https://mysource.material.com
Random Magic Item treasure generator: Mylink.toasite.com
etc.

3. Then, when I go back to that user note, the links would show up as HTML links that I click.

4. And a browser opens to that link (Chrome or IE).

5. Then I can go between RW and the browser I have open for information, and my links are all safely stored in RW. I suppose I could create bookmarks associate them with my google account, and use them on any Chrome browser. I'd rather have all D&D content in one place for reference.

Let me know if there's a way to make weblinks actually just open a webpage to the link by clicking on the link in RW.
whitewolf32 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 14th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Yes, you can do that.

It will not open a web page within RW, but it will send the web address (URI) to your default browser and open it there.

I use it all the time in order to open character sheets that I have made in LibreOffice - in this case it is not a webpage but a document on my computer I point to.

You can do this:

For a webpage
  1. Open a topic.
  2. Place cursor in a snippet.
  3. Right-click and select "Hyperlink".
  4. In "Text to display" write something that makes sense for you (f.ex. Magic Shop Generator)
  5. In "Address" put the URI (f.ex. https://mysource.material.com)
  6. Click "OK".
  7. Save topic.
  8. When you press the blue-with-underline-text you just made RW will send the URI to your default browser and it will be shown there.
For a file on your computer
  1. Open a topic.
  2. Place cursor in a snippet.
  3. Right-click and select "Hyperlink".
  4. In "Text to display" write something that makes sense for you
    (f.ex. Character sheet: Evil Necromancer)
  5. In "Address" put the filepath and filename
    (f.ex. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Brilliant Campaign\NPCs\Evil Necromancer.docx)
  6. Click "OK".
  7. Save topic.
  8. When you press the blue-with-underline-text you just made RW will send the path and filename to your default MS Word program and it will be shown there.

Please note, that as soon as RW has handed off the URI or path+filename to the default program RW has nothing to do with it anymore.

I hope this is what you are looking for and that what I wrote made sense.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; February 14th, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 14th, 2018, 11:46 AM
You might find some of these interesting.

Using inspiration pad pro 3 files. Check the shared content link in my signature for heaps of inspiration pad pro 3 files.
https://youtu.be/CjDaqDNQxcI

Linking to the donjon site from Realm Works.
https://youtu.be/5VavUnoAB-M

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 19th, 2018, 10:02 PM
I haven't seen those videos before! I really need to catch up... Thanks for making them Daplunk!
BJ is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 20th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Yes, you can do that.

(f.ex. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Brilliant Campaign\NPCs\Evil Necromancer.docx)
Thank you for my morning chuckle.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote