Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

MichaelH

Old January 1st, 2019, 02:38 PM
I'm working on setting up a Fate campaign, and I'm trying to figure out how to customize the system a bit for this setting - changing some skill names, adding a few, and adding a bunch of languages. I think this should be possible using the Editor, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the system information - when I open the editor, it gives me options to open an existing file or create a new one, and when I try to open an existing file there are no files of the assumed type (*.dat, *.user?) to be found anywhere.

What am I missing? 'Cause I'm guessing there's some simple thing I'm missing that'll make it all make sense.
MichaelH is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 1st, 2019, 02:58 PM
You need to copy an existing item (note its ID), make changes, and then set the Preclude ID to what was copied for a replacement. There probably is editor-specific documentation in the FATE implementation. Did you look through the Help file?

Ah, and it's accessed by going into the Editor and going to Help / Help Using the Editor. file:///C:/ProgramData/Hero%20Lab/da...ocs/editor.htm on my machine.

Last edited by Duggan; January 1st, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MichaelH

Old January 2nd, 2019, 07:20 AM
I think my problem is a step or two before that - I can't load (or can't figure out how to load) the system information in the first place. When I open the editor, it prompts me to open or create a new file. If I pick open, I can't find any eligible files to open. If I create new, I get into the editor, but with no existing information. I can then save that empty file, and it will show up in the folder and be openable, but still, alas, empty.
MichaelH is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 2nd, 2019, 07:57 AM
Yes, in HL you do not edit the files directly. You create new files that add on content to the existing material, and that new content can be set as replacements of the old content. That way, if you simply move every .user file you've created in the editor out of the folder, you're back to the official version of the game system, so it's not too hard to recover from major mistakes in what's been added onto the game.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
MichaelH

Old January 2nd, 2019, 09:56 AM
Aha! Now I think I get it!
MichaelH is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 2nd, 2019, 02:24 PM
Although as a caveat to what Mathias is saying, if you replace a standard resource, add to it to a character, and then later remove said resource, it generally disappears completely off of the character, leaving a hole to be filled (although it does warn you that sources are missing on loading).
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote