Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bodhizen

Old December 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Good afternoon, friends!

It's been years since I've done any programming in Hero Lab, and I've quite forgotten how to do so. I'm trying to code up some custom abilities to bootstrap onto a new custom class and I was hoping that you could help me to do it. Here's the first one:

Starting at 3rd level, a warrior begins to train for more than just combat. The warrior gains a +1 competence bonus to two skills chosen from the following list: Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Ride, Stealth, or Swim. The warrior is treated as if he had the Signature Skill feat for both of those skills.

Every three levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th), the warrior becomes further trained in these skills, gaining an additional +1 bonus to the skills chosen.
Bodhizen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 28th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Well, first you need to define a candidate expression to select only those skills, in usrCandid1. You can find many examples of this sort of thing, perhaps start by copying one of the traits which requires you to choose 1 of 2 skill choices.

Then you need to calculate the bonus to apply, and apply the bonus. Try copying the Rogue's Trapfinding class ability and looking at its eval scripts.

Then you just need to find an example of something with a selector which transitions to the specific pick and changes something about the chosen pick. This might well be something the trait you considered above does, but if not, check around other traits.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bodhizen

Old December 30th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I cannot even get the ability to appear in the list of items to bootstrap onto the class. I keep getting the following error when trying to compile.

Quote:
Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected:

Cannot create core run-time file: C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder\data.hlz
Bodhizen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 31st, 2018, 08:18 AM
That error isn't related to anything you've done in the editor, it is a memory thing, if I understand correctly. Tends to crop up if you've been working in very large portfolios, or have had the program open for a day or two.

It should be resolved if you close HL and re-open the program.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bodhizen

Old December 31st, 2018, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
That error isn't related to anything you've done in the editor, it is a memory thing, if I understand correctly. Tends to crop up if you've been working in very large portfolios, or have had the program open for a day or two.

It should be resolved if you close HL and re-open the program.
That fixed that problem, thank you!
Bodhizen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bodhizen

Old December 31st, 2018, 12:23 PM
So, using the Array-Based Menu, I can give the selection of the six skills. Problem is... I can't get a second identical list.
Bodhizen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 31st, 2018, 05:16 PM
There is only 1 array per pick, so if you wanted to use two of those, you'd need to bootstrap two picks. Instead, I would recommend using the choosers, which can be set up to make two different selections.

Make a copy of the Rising Star trait, for an example of something with two selectors that choose from a limited subset of skills.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote