Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM
@ShadowChemosh Thanks for the tip! Your workflow seems much more useful than what I was envisioning. Again, none of my players are going to access this information until after the session, but at least the reveal dates will be tied to the game session dates.

I can see myself following your workflow with published content. With my homebrew campaign, however, I find it helpful to do the reveals after the session so I can clean things up again. I often put just what I need to run the sessions and somethings are improvised. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but jotting a few notes on my improvisations using pen and paper is easier. I find writing with a pen while talking to the players to be less distracting than typing notes. Also, I don't want to chance focus to, say, Evernote, or have to make edits directly to RW while running the game.

But this is what I like about these discussion, I learn a lot from hearing from other GMs on how they run their sessions. I still feel stuck in the 80s in my approach to session planning.

Quote:
You just have to get use to talking to the players and quickly interacting with RW. But at most its a simple "button" press to reveal something and usually not very distracting (the first few games maybe but you will get better/faster). Just do it quickly and for myself I always keep the laptop angled to my "side". I don't want a barrier between me and the players so its not setup "directly" in front of me. The mouse is simply located where my hand naturally rests and just click the button and quickly return to looking at the players. This prevents the players from thinking I am not paying attention to them but instead that I as a DM have many things to track and they got 90% of my attention.
What I've done instead is ditch my DM screen. For the most part I roll in plain sight of the players. My computer is on the smaller size and acts as a partial DM screen. I like having in front of me, just a bit off to the side, so I don't have to turn away from the players. I can just glance down. I don't use a mouse as that is just more clutter on the table for me and I suffer from RSI, so using a touchpad is easier on my hands and wrists.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:57 PM
@adzling This is what I do. I could very well be missing a feature or overlooking a better process. You can review a topic and specific snippets of that topic in player view, which works very well. But I understand your criticism to be that I we can't display a snippet's contents independent from the topic. I believe that the intention is that in those situtation, you are looking for a handout and would be better off using a Documents and Media snippet. That allows you to attach a PDF, RTF, or HTML (Complete) document, which you can open in player view and display in a separate window. You can also print such attached documents, though you have to open them externally in a separate application.

I think that what would be nice to have would be a new "handout" snippet type. It would basically be another text snippet, but one that could be displayed as an independent document in player view, but still viewable in-line with the rest of the topics contents (rather than having to replace the topic view to view it or having to display it in another tab, as is the case with the documents & media snippets).

There should also be an ability to print this snippet type. Actually, I would hope we could print the entire topic, but having a special printable handout snippet might be a good temporary compromise while LWD works out the IP challenges involved in a more full printing capability (though I think folks will just be printing from the Web view as the temporary compromise, post Content-Market release).

So, I understand where Adzling is coming from. It would be nice to be able to create handouts within the program itself, rather than having to create outside RW and attach a document.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 11th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
urm, how do you display a single snippet in playerview?

I don't see any interface element that permits this (perhaps it's hidden somewhere?).

I only see the ability to display a whole topic, which is not very helpful when that topic contains many other snippets.
Well if only a whole revealed topic can be shown in Player View, then you can organise your campaign topics with this knowledge.
Farling is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old March 12th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Yes, that is true Farling.

It doesn't help of course as separating the multiple info bits for a Scene into multiple topics would be insanely unwieldy.

So yeah, not useful.
adzling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote