Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Seperate instance from above:

Is it possible to have a feat have 2 drop down selections for player choice? Education allows you to select 2 knowledge skills that you gain a +2 bonus to. Just thought I would ask for future. If it is not possible, I will make a version of the feat for each Knowledge skill, then the players can select the second skill they want to get a bonus in, although this is dependent on the above limited/skill selection and give bonus problem being solved.
Lawful_g is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Second question. I have a race called tinker gnome that has a racial ability called Guild affiliation. The player chooses from Craft, Technical, or Sage guild and gains a +2 racial bonus on the associated skills (Craft, Profession, and Knowledge respectively).

Feats have a "select from" option that you can choose skills with, but I can't figure out how to make a special that can do a similar thing.
Try the custom abilities - you can make an ability for each of the guilds, tell the class that it gets one at first level, and no others, and then let the user select the one they want.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Quote:
perform field[fChosen].chosen.forward[ClassSkill.?]

... but I am not having any luck modifying it to add a bonus, getting an "invalid use of reserved word in script", an error that I frequently see.

For example, I am doing:

hero.field[fChosen].chosen.field[Bonus].value += 2

Also tried:

#skillbonus[fChosen] += 2

But then it doesn't recognize fChosen as being anything
For the first, don't use hero. - the fChosen field you're trying to look up is on the feat, which is presumably where the script is.

For the second, try #skillbonus[field[fChosen].chosen] += 2, I think that's probably the correct way to access it (I haven't tested it yet).
Mathias is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Try the custom abilities - you can make an ability for each of the guilds, tell the class that it gets one at first level, and no others, and then let the user select the one they want.
Can races bootstrap custom abilities? I didn't think that was possible.
Lawful_g is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Quote:
For the first, don't use hero. - the fChosen field you're trying to look up is on the feat, which is presumably where the script is.

For the second, try #skillbonus[field[fChosen].chosen] += 2, I think that's probably the correct way to access it (I haven't tested it yet).
Number 1 does not give any errors on compile, but when select the skill in HL, get an error
"Attempt to assign field value with no pick context"

Number 2 gives me "non-existant thing 'field' used by script"
Lawful_g is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Can races bootstrap custom abilities? I didn't think that was possible.
My mistake, I was thinking classes.
Mathias is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Number 1 does not give any errors on compile, but when select the skill in HL, get an error
"Attempt to assign field value with no pick context"

Number 2 gives me "non-existant thing 'field' used by script"
I tried this myself, and can't get past the same problem for #1

Thinking about it further, #2 shouldn't work even if the syntax was right - the ALLXXX things aren't skills, they're just value holders that get added to the skills.

For now, you can probably go with three feats with the following in their script:
hero.child[AllCraft].field[Bonus].value +=2

(of course replaing it with profession and knowledge skills for the others).

Each feat can have a expr-req to restrict it to the race, and if you start the unique ID of each feat with the same characters that aren't used anywhere else:
fTinkGnCra
fTinkGnKno
fTinkGnPro

you can put an expression requirement on the race that:
hero.tagcount[HasFeat.fTinkGn?] = 1
(which means that it has exactly one feat whose unique ID starts with "fTinkGn")
Mathias is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Quote:
I tried this myself, and can't get past the same problem for #1

Thinking about it further, #2 shouldn't work even if the syntax was right - the ALLXXX things aren't skills, they're just value holders that get added to the skills.

For now, you can probably go with three feats with the following in their script:
hero.child[AllCraft].field[Bonus].value +=2

(of course replaing it with profession and knowledge skills for the others).

Each feat can have a expr-req to restrict it to the race, and if you start the unique ID of each feat with the same characters that aren't used anywhere else:
fTinkGnCra
fTinkGnKno
fTinkGnPro

you can put an expression requirement on the race that:
hero.tagcount[HasFeat.fTinkGn?] = 1
(which means that it has exactly one feat whose unique ID starts with "fTinkGn")
Thanks for the help, I didn't know about that ? trick, I'll try and keep it in mind.

I'd already done something like that, but cruder. I changed it to yours as it is more elegant. Unfortunately both cause the race to be invalid for selection (because they require the feat to qualify for the race, rather than the race giving a feat as a bonus, also, selecting the feat is invalid because it requires the race!). It would be cool if there was a way to make a feat select all craft/profession etc skills, eh? *Wink wink, nudge nudge Colen/Rob*

But as things go it is pretty low on my list of requests.

Something else really frustrating I have noticed? The inability to scroll in Class Tabs in HL. I have classes that are so chock full of Class specials, custom abilities, and bonus feats that their spell selection button is pushed clear off the bottom. I've got Wu Jen that can't add any spells to their spellbook or memorize any!

Does anyone know a way to customize the tabs so this information is put at the top and Class specials (which already can be scrolled through) are at the bottom?
Lawful_g is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the help, I didn't know about that ? trick, I'll try and keep it in mind.

I'd already done something like that, but cruder. I changed it to yours as it is more elegant. Unfortunately both cause the race to be invalid for selection (because they require the feat to qualify for the race, rather than the race giving a feat as a bonus, also, selecting the feat is invalid because it requires the race!). It would be cool if there was a way to make a feat select all craft/profession etc skills, eh? *Wink wink, nudge nudge Colen/Rob*
My mistake again (I'm getting out of practice on the d20 files) - put the requirement in an eval rule - that will make it active only after the race is added. You'll change the format from the exprression requirement format I gave to the format you'd use for a pre-req:
Code:
if (hero.tagcount[HasFeat.fTinkGn?] = 1) then
  @valid = 1
  endif
And use the "Validation" phase at any timing.
Mathias is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks, that worked well. Any ideas about the reformatting issue?
Lawful_g is offline   #20 Reply With Quote