Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daddystabz

Old August 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I knew there was a beta set out from Lone Wolf for Hero Lab but I thought the beta was for DC Adventures. I am reading here it is Mutants & Masterminds 3e. Is this exactly the same thing or 2 different beta sets with the same rules?

I thought I read that DCA would not get supported by Hero Lab due to licensing issues with DC Comics but M&M 3e would, since they are essentially the same game system.
daddystabz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddystabz View Post
I knew there was a beta set out from Lone Wolf for Hero Lab but I thought the beta was for DC Adventures. I am reading here it is Mutants & Masterminds 3e. Is this exactly the same thing or 2 different beta sets with the same rules?

I thought I read that DCA would not get supported by Hero Lab due to licensing issues with DC Comics but M&M 3e would, since they are essentially the same game system.
DC Adventures uses the M&M 3E rules. The only difference is that you won't get the DC Comics characters or any of their gear with the license. You can always BUILD them yourself, using Hero Lab.
Shadowchaser is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daddystabz

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Exactly....I know DCA and M&M 3e are exactly the same. My question was basically if Lone Wolf is basically only doing a M&M 3e release and we the customers just end up using it for both games. I seem to remember reading this was due to licensing considerations with DC Comics.

I can't wait to get the set regardless.
daddystabz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddystabz View Post
Exactly....I know DCA and M&M 3e are exactly the same. My question was basically if Lone Wolf is basically only doing a M&M 3e release and we the customers just end up using it for both games. I seem to remember reading this was due to licensing considerations with DC Comics.

I can't wait to get the set regardless.
From what Colen has already said when people ask this, I think the DC License is really not something they plan to shoot for. If it were, however, it would probably be sold as an add-on, like the Ultimate Powers material from M&M 2E.

Now, I spoke to Colen at Gen-con, and it sounds like the pricing for those add-ons is going to be broken up into smaller updates for less money, but I'm not 100% sure about that. From a logistical standpoint, I'm pretty certain that they don't plan to do 2 identical rulesets and charge for both. So, if you're interested in grabbing the 3E beta (I've been using it almost a week, now), I'd say you're pretty safe in doing so.
Shadowchaser is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Shadowchaser nailed it. Hero Lab is focused on the mechanics, and the DCA material is the identical mechanics to M&M3E. So we're going to provide M&M3E support, which also doubles as DCA support, and avoid all the hassles with a license involving DC. The only thing you won't get with this approach is all of the DCA iconics, but those can be readily constructed with the M&M3E data files - and will likely be shared amongst users.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the affirmation, Rob!
Shadowchaser is offline   #6 Reply With Quote