Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Rone

Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
If I tried again now, I may have better luck. I can sync the realm and export it, but the import always fails. I am not currently using that realm, so I haven't tried contacting LWD since things have been turning around.
Please do reach out to us at support@wolflair.com about this import fail issue.
Rone is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:17 AM
If I was to ever to buy or download a rulebook for RW it would be purely to slice up and put the pieces I cared about into my existing articles and to merge stuff like feats and spells into my existing lists of such. I'd never maintain something as a book.

Custom categories make only a limited amount of sense if you use a lot of published material which all follows a single convention. Paizo, for instance, has been very consistent in how they describe settlements and other geographic locations. It would make little sense to deviate from the standard Pathfinder categories of you were using a lot of that material.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If I was to ever to buy or download a rulebook for RW it would be purely to slice up and put the pieces I cared about into my existing articles and to merge stuff like feats and spells into my existing lists of such. I'd never maintain something as a book.

Custom categories make only a limited amount of sense if you use a lot of published material which all follows a single convention. Paizo, for instance, has been very consistent in how they describe settlements and other geographic locations. It would make little sense to deviate from the standard Pathfinder categories of you were using a lot of that material.
I'm pretty close to this and really don't understand the fuss about all these things. I neither organize my things by sources nor do I use custom categories. Heck, I even still use my legacy realm I started around 2012 because there's some kind of problem with converting to Pathfinder and it really doesn't matter.

I categorize most of my stuff either by location or storyline and the rest just stays in the pre-defined structure like groups, thing lists and such.
Merion is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old January 2nd, 2019, 07:56 PM
I actually do both. Sort by book and have my own custom book source tag entries. which is larger than my monitor can actually show at once. Image

I don't know why I want it sorted into books in each of the sections...

I wonder about something... I will test something and be back.

[edit=1] Before the time of computer entitlement, if we sat down for a game of tabletop roleplaying games, we would need all the books to reference and would have to know exactly where to look, that's why book indexes where valuable, bookmarks of varies kinds and paper notes became vital to the game.

Even now, we buy books separated out by content, we buy adventure paths, we download unofficial content via PDF all separated out into subsections, which may or may not at a later date become printed official content. To me, therefore its logical to keep that formation when imputing content. Errata's come out with book and version numbers. We get the information from a book it would seem logical to keep that in book form for data entry.

Even D&D Beyond separates its books out, heck it separates it out per chapter.

My long term goal is to have each book in realm works as its own separate realm, and when I need to, import the contents into the realms that needs them. [/edit]

Last edited by KiwiBlaze; January 2nd, 2019 at 08:20 PM.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBlaze View Post
Even now, we buy books separated out by content, we buy adventure paths, we download unofficial content via PDF all separated out into subsections, which may or may not at a later date become printed official content. To me, therefore its logical to keep that formation when imputing content. Errata's come out with book and version numbers. We get the information from a book it would seem logical to keep that in book form for data entry.
I found that the most annoying thing about the Paizo PRD was that everything was sorted by book, so you had to go looking across several books to find the feat or rule that you were interested in.

d20pfsrd got rid of the books and put all the relevant information from all sources about a particular subject into the same area. Much easier - it is useful to have a reference within the rule to where it came from (in case you need to quote it to somebody else), which in RW can be done by assigning a tag to an individual snippet.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:52 AM
Whenever I use snippet tags it crashes for me. Thou I literally just found out that was a thing.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #16 Reply With Quote