Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Mathias, can we access the Shadowrun source code at all? If so that might simply what I have to finish up on Deathwatch since I finished up the biggest tab I had remaining to do.
RavenX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
No, only the Savage Worlds, 4e, and skeleton information is available. It sounded as though TCArknight had figured out many Cortex things by studying the tags and fields, and I figured he might be able to figure out similar things by studying the tags and fields in Shadowrun, which is why I suggested he look at that.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
No, only the Savage Worlds, 4e, and skeleton information is available. It sounded as though TCArknight had figured out many Cortex things by studying the tags and fields, and I figured he might be able to figure out similar things by studying the tags and fields in Shadowrun, which is why I suggested he look at that.
Ok, I wasn't sure if you decided to make the Shadowrun source code available to users of the authoring kit or not. I've learned a lot from the 4e and savage worlds data so far, but I may need some assistance setting up the wargear, as weapons in Deathwatch have mods and special ammunition like shadowrun does.
I'll get it figured it as I go, I am feeling a bit more confident in my coding abilities since you started assisting me with the data.
RavenX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mathias,

Does <menu_things> create a pulldown menu for the user to select something from?
I am asking because I have a few skills that may benefit from this knowledge that I haven't finished yet. Speak Language is one example where the user has to choose the language associated with the skill. I am not sure if I should just do each language as its own skill in the game or have a pulldown on it.
RavenX is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
In most games, I find that languages are best handled with a two-part solution.

Any language that's mentioned in the game gets a specific pick - that way, you can easily bootstrap a specific language when some thing or another grants it as a bonus.

Then, you have a "Language (Other)" pick, that offers the domDomain field for the user to type in any language they want.

You could use a menu for the same sort of thing, but I find it's not as convenient when it comes time to bootstrap particular languages, or when you want to offer a selection of languages X, Y, or Z (but no others) as a bonus granted by something.
Mathias is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Mathias,

Does <menu_things> create a pulldown menu for the user to select something from?
I am asking because I have a few skills that may benefit from this knowledge that I haven't finished yet. Speak Language is one example where the user has to choose the language associated with the skill. I am not sure if I should just do each language as its own skill in the game or have a pulldown on it.
I used <menu_things> recently in the Qin ruleset I'm building to handle combat technique. A combat technique can have a different skill level prerequisite depending on the weapon skill. For instance, Charge requires level 1 in Bangshu (stick), but level 3 in Chuishu (mace). So, I created a tag group in this form:

CombTechID.SkillIDn

Where n is the minimum level for that combat technique/skill combination. The prerequisite script for the Combat Technique then loops through the hero's current skill picks and applies the tag template above to each matching skill. The <menu_thing> then filters on CombTechID.?
Kairos is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In most games, I find that languages are best handled with a two-part solution.

Any language that's mentioned in the game gets a specific pick - that way, you can easily bootstrap a specific language when some thing or another grants it as a bonus.

Then, you have a "Language (Other)" pick, that offers the domDomain field for the user to type in any language they want.

You could use a menu for the same sort of thing, but I find it's not as convenient when it comes time to bootstrap particular languages, or when you want to offer a selection of languages X, Y, or Z (but no others) as a bonus granted by something.
My only issue with doing Speak Language is that Deathwatch (and I believe the entire 40K line) treats it as a Skill. You need a skill test for obscure or ancient dialects usually. And that skill is subject to the usual +10 and +20 advancement purchases that the player can make. I will take your lead on this Mathias and go ahead and start studying how other systems handle their language picks. Luckily there is only about 8 languages in the core rulebook which account for the major races of the universe.
RavenX is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'm at a loss.

The SR4 'push button to select specialty' is exactly what I'm going for. In my case, the button won't become visible unless the rank is a 3 or better.

That part I have working.

Skill tab display should be a table_dynamic so that chosen can vary from selected

I see three things that have to happen.
1) button click opens form
2) table on form populated with SkillAoE components with the SkillGen.XXX tag that matches the skill with the button clicked
3) Ok button needs to add selected specialty to character which should sort out well.

If I had the code from the Shadowrun specialty adding, then I may be able to figure out a solution.

Any suggestions?

I've attached the doctor who files that I've been working on so can see what talking about for the skills. They need a lot of work, but this seems to be the biggest hangup.

TC

Last edited by TCArknight; March 28th, 2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: removed bad file
TCArknight is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Here's the error message I get when I try to open those files:

The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:
Portal 'baSkill' - Dynamic table requires either an 'addtemplate' or an 'additem' script

So, add an additem script to the table.

Here's the wiki page about dynamic tables: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/TableDynamic_Element_(Data)
Mathias is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Yep, found that just after uploading.

Here's the correct file. The skill tab has the Add Skill Spec tem at the bottom that's always there, and when a particular skill reaches 3, the button appears on that skill....
Attached Files
File Type: zip doctorwho.zip (485.8 KB, 2 views)
TCArknight is offline   #20 Reply With Quote