Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Piquwee

Old January 24th, 2020, 02:02 PM
Hello all,
I was able to apply the Vampire Spawn template using the Monster Codex option, but now I have gained enough exp to level up.

What are the rules for leveling a player character with the Vampire Spawn template?

Hero Lab seems to think that I should just pick a class to advance and move on with life, but I need to provide a better answer to my GM before doing so.

I have about 36K exp points and HL says I should be at level 7 with the V.S. template.

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Piquwee is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 24th, 2020, 03:39 PM
As with any other template, additional levels merely go on adding a class to the creature.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Piquwee

Old January 24th, 2020, 03:58 PM
So, if the character was a level 5 when bitten, the spawn template would add CR2 to the character making them a CR7 (5 from the normal leveling and 2 for the spawn). This would not allow them to move forward with their class advance until level 8 or CR8?

I guess I am asking, does a spawn template just get applied without concerns of exp and future leveling plateaus?
Piquwee is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old January 24th, 2020, 04:54 PM
CR is not your level. Ask your GM - how does he want things to happen? Or look at the Paizo forums. You are asking about a Pathfinder rules question here, not how HL works. HL will do things how ever you tell it to.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Piquwee

Old January 24th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Hero Lab says I should be level 7 and the template doesn't affect my level. I was assuming HL would follow Pathfinder rules.

GM wants no leveling up until I pass 2 more levels from when the character was bitten to take into account the CR2 of the template.
Piquwee is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 24th, 2020, 10:05 PM
When I add Vampire Spawn to an existing character through the normal "class selection" window, I see that it adds 4 levels to account for the new template. It then also complains that I don't have enough XP for my class levels and the vampire spawn template.

Thus Hero Lab will not let me take another class level until my XP has reached a sufficient amount to cater for the 4 levels of vampire spawn.

I don't know what adding it via the "Monster Codex" method means; but when I change my race from Human to Vampire Spawn, the same 4 levels appear in the class list of levels.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; January 24th, 2020 at 10:07 PM.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old January 24th, 2020, 11:35 PM
Every DM/GM will be different.

I look at how much a class advances CR.
And how much a template advances CR.
And then value them the same.

A level one any class, advances in CR the same amount by either:
a) adding vampire template; or
b) adding two levels in a class

In my games (which could be different from yours), the template is worth two levels, and when everyone else is level 8, I'd consider a level 6 with vampire template to be the same level.
And then add a level to everyone, once the others were going to 9 and the vampire to 7.

Your mileage may vary.
Ualaa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Piquwee

Old January 25th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Thank you all for the time.
Piquwee is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old January 26th, 2020, 03:41 PM
If you have the community files, there are HL files for Way of the Wicked.

In that, you can add the Vampire template, via feats.
It is five general (not combat) feats.
I think you need to be 9th level for the last one.

The chain starts off with, "The Bitten".

It doesn't cost any CR/Level Adjustment increases, but is five feats.
Ualaa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote