Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

bearjew

Old March 17th, 2018, 08:25 PM
I recently got HL and am getting acquainted with it. While making the first few encounters, I realized that some of the creatures aren't in the base pack that I have. I've looked around and it seems as though I should be able to create a custom monster without having to buy the bestiary packs, but I'm having a bit of trouble doing this (I've looked on youtube as well and some of the interface options they have are quite a bit different). I'm trying to build the Giant Bombardier Beetle from the Crypt of the Everflame module.

In the "Configure Your Hero" window that opens, I'm choosing NPC and then pick/roll ability scores, followed by choosing it to be an enemy of the party. However, I dont have the ability to choose a Custom Monster in my Race choice window. I can check all the boxes in the "customize" window, except the "customize special race abilities" because I dont have the bestiary package - but I'm not sure that I really need to be able to use that option at the moment. I also can't seem to input a (-) Ability Score, but only a 0 and I'm not sure if this makes a difference but it seems to. Am I going about this correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
bearjew is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 18th, 2018, 05:21 PM
The customization options in the program are meant for characters, not monsters; in order to create monsters you would have to use the Editor.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old March 20th, 2018, 05:59 AM
Monsters can be done by hand without using the bestiary, however expect to do everything manually. As for the the race part, you need to either have the advanced race guide to go further with the custom monster via that method. If you do have it, but are not satisfied, then you must create the race under the race tab in the editor.
Quote:
With a timing of First 5000:
~we don't have a CON score
perform hero.child[aCON].assign[Helper.NoScore]
This kind of script adds the - to the ability score you specify, the above does CON obviously. So where aCON is change that to aWIS or whatever you are going for.

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 20th, 2018, 07:23 AM
You can create races yourself, but you will need to use the editor.

In order to create a new monster from scratch within the program's display, you will need to have the Bestiary package. The tools you have found will allow you to customize an existing race, and make variants of it, but are not complete enough to build a race from scratch unless the Bestiary package is enabled.

The tools DeltaMasterMind refers to, from the Advanced Race Guide, are only for making PC races, not the NPC race you're trying to make.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote