Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

zarlor

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I'd have to work on trying it, but Smarts/2 (built-in, you can just use the value of attrSma to get that number) thing, you'd set up with a variable. I know Rank is already tracked but I'd have to check on if there is already a number associated with it, if not you'd have to assign a number based on the Rank value. I'd have to play around to figure that one out unless someone else gets to it before I can.

Bootstrapping an specified allied creature, that one I requested in the "What changes/enhancements would you like to see?" thread at the top of this forum. Feel free to give it a "+1", so to speak, if you'd like to show support for that feature.

For Throwing Expert, I don't know the details (I don't have the setting) but there MIGHT be a way to modify a Strength requirement on the fly, but to be honest the way I've tended to do such things is exactly they way you mentioned. Sometimes it's too much trouble to try to and figure how, or even if, you can make something like that elegant.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
The One

Old August 10th, 2014, 12:24 PM
For Temptress, I used the following with Final / prio 100, and used a Bootstrap to load in the linked AB, which excluded all other powers.

Code:
#trkmax[trkPower] += (#traitbonus[trCharisma] + herofield[acRank].value +1)
This is of course why it's not compatable with another AB, because you can only have a single AB on your sheet. If you don't grant an AB, there's no notation to show the power, nor track the PP.

---------------

Perhaps another approach would be to create the power as a magic item for these edges, granted when the relevant Edge is selected, complete with PP charges.
The One is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 10th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Although it should probably be noted that Hero Lab gets it "right" by not allowing multiple ABs in the sense that every time the subject comes up on the Pinnacle forums Clint Black reiterates that multiple ABs is not allowed by the core rules. Obviously various settings can do what they want, but by the core rules it's supposed to be a no-multiple-AB situation.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Myridden

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Although it should probably be noted that Hero Lab gets it "right" by not allowing multiple ABs in the sense that every time the subject comes up on the Pinnacle forums Clint Black reiterates that multiple ABs is not allowed by the core rules. Obviously various settings can do what they want, but by the core rules it's supposed to be a no-multiple-AB situation.
Poisoner and Temptress aren't really ABs. They are edges that use existing magic ability game mechanics to emulate a non magic ability - they give you a tiny pool of PP and 1 power.

Temptress uses Persuasion to use raise/lower stats on the opposite sex, and has Charisma +1PP per Rank. Poisoner uses smarts to brew poisons (which is usually reserved for the Lotus Master arcane background in B&B) and has Smarts/2 +1PP per Rank.

For the purposes of HL creating an Arcane Background with no associated drawback would be the easiest way to do it (with the right PP calculations applied) - except a Sorcerer (AB)/Temptress (Edg) or a Jade Monk(AB)/Poisoner (Edg) should be possible in the game and wouldn't be in HL.

The One - that could work.. a hidden item that bootstraps with the edge to give the power+PP as long as it activates the tracker and such. I'll have to try it out.
Myridden is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Oh, if it's not an AB then don't use an AB for it. Instead create a separate tracker for the power points.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:57 AM
You can keep a special value for the number of these not-really-PP in two ways (that I can think of anyway).

The easiest way is to have it be its own derived trait, where Charisma is located. The problem with this is that it will show up on everyone that has the source. You can get around this by having Temptress have its own source, and you click on it before a character can select it.

Another way that is fairly easy is to have it appear as part of the name of the edge. Like "Temptress (2 PP)". I have not done this in Savage Worlds, but there may be an example of it.

It is done often in Pathfinder and it is likely that it would work the same in Savage Worlds as it is based on how the edge name is displayed as opposed to a game-specific modification. It would require a fairly simple Eval Script.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 16th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Pathfinder often uses a universal variable called abValue. This does not seem to exist in Savage Worlds, and for the most part is not needed. But as I correctly guessed, you can indeed have PP show up in the name of the Temptress edge. Go ahead and alter the code to get the equations that you want, but this will give you a baseline. I have no idea what Timing to use, but since it is likely you want to use your Traits, I tested it for Traits 5000 and it works.

Code:
var PPoint as number
PPoint = 10

field[livename].text = field[thingname].text & " (PP: " & PPoint & ")"
I had been using a Derived Trait for Command Radius, but I will now go back and steal this idea and just make it appear on the Command edge.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Myridden

Old August 19th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Pathfinder often uses a universal variable called abValue. This does not seem to exist in Savage Worlds, and for the most part is not needed. But as I correctly guessed, you can indeed have PP show up in the name of the Temptress edge. Go ahead and alter the code to get the equations that you want, but this will give you a baseline. I have no idea what Timing to use, but since it is likely you want to use your Traits, I tested it for Traits 5000 and it works.

Code:
var PPoint as number
PPoint = 10

field[livename].text = field[thingname].text & " (PP: " & PPoint & ")"
I had been using a Derived Trait for Command Radius, but I will now go back and steal this idea and just make it appear on the Command edge.
If I read this all correctly it will add the calculated PP total to the name of the edge on the sheet, which is cool. But how would you enable the powers tab and assign the one power the edge is supposed to grant?

That's the problem from what I can tell (and I don't know nearly enough about the editor to come up with these creative solutions you guys do!) - it acts like a mini AB as far as the game mechanics go (grants a limited PP Pool and 1 power with no drawbacks), but it's not actually supposed to be an AB in game terms. The abilities represent something the character has learned to do and are not actually magical abilities, so they shouldn't preclude taking a real AB.

Thanks to all for the ideas and help so far!

~M
Myridden is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I would suggest having that one power be an edge. Either that or specified by the edge that it comes with. There is no need for the power menu if you will only ever have one power. Also opening that menu will disable it for default Arcane Backgrounds. By using my generic trick, and making all of the ABs access the same Power thing (in Arcane Background tab of Editor) this is not a problem as all of them use the same menu, kind of like skills. Personally I do not care all that much if the powers cross over between the ABs. For example, a wizard that is also a cleric can have divine inspiration with casting wizard spells and at the same time he can cast cleric spell versions of his wizard spells -- the deity can tap into his natural talents and augment them. But I have it set that effectively all powers are paid for, and new powers are an edge each anyway so it is not a big deal. Especially if you consider that the Arcane skills are different and you have to spend more resources to increase them. The benefit to having multiple arcane backgrounds is more power point versatility.

SeeleyOne is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Having looked over the Armor power and a couple of Edges that have conditional Toughness, am I assuming correctly that there's no easy way to have a power that displays two Toughness values (the base and an adder from an ability that gives conditional additional Toughness).
Paragon is offline   #20 Reply With Quote