Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I'm not completely sure. I think you upload your Realm to the repository, which is separate from backing up your data, then download as a new (copy) Realm, which is a blank slate. I think, anyway.

So I think you can use the original Realm to run a game in.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
I'm not completely sure. I think you upload your Realm to the repository, which is separate from backing up your data, then download as a new (copy) Realm, which is a blank slate. I think, anyway.

Maybe I'm not understanding what the repository is/will be.
EightBitz is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old April 13th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Rob, that helps immensely and is the answer I was looking for to my original question. Thanks!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Just for the benefit of my understanding, you would do that (as I think I've read before elsewhere in this forum) by creating and populating your realm as a base realm and never running any games from it. You would then copy it, and use the copy to run any single game instance.

Is that correct?
That is how I understand it, yes. I am basing my statements of the limited description given during the kickstarter and in updates.

The description you read elsewhere may have been mine; I've been talking about this in other threads (like the one on using published content).
Silveras is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post

Now we're getting into areas where there is not much definite information, but I don't think this is right based on Rob's answer to another question about the data usage (see the thread on cloud usage indicators).

The answer there was that a "copy" would mostly contain "pointers" linking back to the original Realm. If you don't change something in the new (copy) Realm, the data is not stored in the new Realm. If you do make a change, then that change is stored in the new Realm and replaces the information for that game. For example, perhaps the Individual listed as leader of a group is replaced as your game plays out; in the original Realm it was "Michael Lord".. now, in that new Realm, it has been changed to "Cynthia Masters". Your original Realm is unchanged, but in your new Realm, the change made there replaces original information.

As far as uploading.. that sounds more like the Marketplace, to make it available to others, but that's really not something that has been discussed that I know of. I expect details like that will be revealed more as the Marketplace and Repository get closer to release.

Speculation: The Repository does seem to be something separate from simply having the Realm in your database. Behind the scenes, that might be as simple as setting a flag that marks it as available for re-use, though. Just like the Story and World Almanacs are just two views into the same data pool, putting something into the Repository may not need to be a very big task for the application.
Silveras is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Just for the benefit of my understanding, you would do that (as I think I've read before elsewhere in this forum) by creating and populating your realm as a base realm and never running any games from it. You would then copy it, and use the copy to run any single game instance.

Is that correct?
Exactly. Anything you've revealed in the "master" realm would be revealed in the derived realm. Why? Because there are lots of cases where you want to pre-reveal snippets so that they are instantly visible the moment you reveal the topic. In addition, there is usually going to be lots of material that you just want visible from the start for players, such as numerous articles about game mechanics for your game and story topics that are "backstory" the PCs already know when the game begins.
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The answer there was that a "copy" would mostly contain "pointers" linking back to the original Realm. If you don't change something in the new (copy) Realm, the data is not stored in the new Realm. If you do make a change, then that change is stored in the new Realm and replaces the information for that game. For example, perhaps the Individual listed as leader of a group is replaced as your game plays out; in the original Realm it was "Michael Lord".. now, in that new Realm, it has been changed to "Cynthia Masters". Your original Realm is unchanged, but in your new Realm, the change made there replaces original information.
This is exactly correct. Everything in the derived realm would start out as a reference to the master realm. The moment you change something in the derived realm, that information is forked off and modified locally to the derived realm, effectively eliminating the "pointer" and replacing it with new information.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Romaq

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Excellent. I've already thrown money at you. Here, please let me throw more money at you!
Romaq is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Romaq

Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:45 AM
I see "Content Market" is still pending for later in 2014, and it would appear a deal is still not yet signed with Paizo.

I will SO ABSOLUTELY spank on this issue during Paizo Con. I really hope this gets announced. Earlier is better than later.
Romaq is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I, for one, disagree that it "will never be even remotely an important part of Realm Works".. on the contrary, I think it will be one of the most important parts. Of course, that just goes to show how opinions and perspectives differ.
You're right. It will be THE most important part.

Let me throw you a few examples here:

1) You've decided to play Pathfinder with your friends. Short notice, you plan a night of character building, but everyone's already done...you're not ready... wait! To the LW webstore! LOOK! We be Goblins! is on sale for immediate download for $0.99!!! PERFECT! Buy, Load, print sample characters from HL (already loaded in RW). Play.

2) You're a new GM, who finds it hard to keep track of everything in the damned universe all at once. You and your players decided to play The Mummy's Mask AP. You had no idea what you were in for. You go to the LW Webstore and....The Mummy's Mask AP in RW is available for the low low price of $19.99!!! (or $4.99 per chapter) Well, you have the books, but you KNOW RW makes running a game easier. Let's do it!

3) You're looking to run an online game with your old high school DnD group. You're running online, using Skype and RW (with new improved Player Edition and Webview!!!) you use Roll20 for the combat interface, and RW for the info delivery system. You're not sure how much time you'll all have, or how hard it is getting together, so everyone votes for 4 hour games whenever they can, so no AP's, short games only.... Hey, Pathfinder Society has just the modules for you! Go to LW webstore, decide on PFS Season 5, select an appropriate module for the low, low price of $0.49, and you're off to the races! (or, conversely, a season pass for $9.99).

4) You use RW. You run games. You play by your own rules! You don't need no stinkin' modules! You work and write your butt off for a great database. You share it on the forums for fun (Or, better yet, sell it on the LW community Market, for 25 cents, of which you get 10). Profit for your time!

The ability to buy adventures, worlds, scenarios, etc... in RW is not only a CORE component of what we got going on here, but it's the whole business model. You didn't think that LW would make all their money from $50 sales and $5/mo Sync services did you?

These examples are all just for Pathfinder. Now, imagine adding Shadowrun, WoD, M&M, DnD 4th/5th edition.

Living Greyhawk, Shadowrun Missions, Pathfinder Society, The Camarilla.... These are sources of INFINATE storylines to be loaded into RW. These go beyond the modules/AP's/Campaigns/World Events.

Sell the series' (PFS Scenarios) for $0.50, the Modules for $0.99-$9.99 (depending on the size/length). Sell Adventure Paths and huge storylines (Gehenna from oWoD, RotRL, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc....) for $9.99-$24.99.

I know I'll be in for $200 minimum by the end of the year (I run PFS, RotRL, and SR Missions games, so I'll be using A LOT of RW products).

DO IT!
Pollution is offline   #30 Reply With Quote