Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Ambush

Old August 9th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Let's say that I'm playing in a new game for Fateforge (just released by Studio Agate). It's based on the 5e rule system, but pretty much everything is up for grabs. It uses the same ability scores and skills, but species (races), feats, spells, etc is different. Also there's the occasionally new thing that needs to be tracked like corruption level or madness.

What would be the best way to go about it? Create a new game system from scratch? Create a new source and uncheck everything but that source? I'd really dislike having to do every single thing from scratch, but if that's the best way, it's the best way...

DM, exRealmWorker, Character Sheet Hacker, Gamer
Ambush is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 9th, 2019, 10:49 AM
I would not advise creating a new game system from scratch. But yeah, you could be up for a lot of work. Of course, if you never plan on releasing this, you really only have to build what you use, and you shouldn't have to do some of the fancy coding for elements interacting.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old August 9th, 2019, 03:31 PM
If its already based on 5e D&D then I'd start with that. It is much easier to add, change and hide existing stuff, than completely recreate the system.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Curmudgeon

Old October 13th, 2020, 06:59 AM
I'm delighted someone's looking at this, though I lack the skills necessary to contribute. Recently backed this in Kickstarter, with print delivery estimated early 2021. Very excited: Thank you for your hard work.
Curmudgeon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote