Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Mergon

Old March 2nd, 2019, 04:10 PM
Hello all:

I am working at implementing the new Unearthed Arcana Artificer (Revisted):

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unea...icer-revisited

The class is a half caster with CANTRIPs. Is it even possible in HeroLab to make a half caster with cantrips?

When I try to add them everything seems to work except they come up in red with the error message: This class may only cast spells of up to level -1.

I've never put together a half caster class before, so I have never seen this error come up before and was wondering if it was a limit in Hero Lab itself.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old March 2nd, 2019, 07:01 PM
None of the half-casters in the SRD had cantrips (Paladin, Ranger) so it wouldn't surprise me if the logic isn't there correctly.

You'll notice that when you hit 2nd level as a half-caster that red warning text on cantrips goes away, so it looks like LW might be rounding down when they do their math....
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:56 AM
I had noticed. This is going to make adding the Artificer a real chore that I don't know if I am up to any long . . .

So far, everything else has gone well, if frustrating at times. :P

I was up to the 1oth level ability "The Right Cantrip for the Job" before I noticed the issue with cantrip. I started a new test character and I noticed the issue.

For me and my table, the Red error is of little conswquence, we'll just ignore it. But I can't put it on GIT until I find a resolution. I may have to put in a request with HeroLab

Mergon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old March 4th, 2019, 08:01 AM
I haven't gotten familiar with how Hero Lab handles the classification of full casters, half casters, etc. Are the spell slots hard coded? Would you be able to make it a full caster and just adjust stuff down? I can see that causing problems when multiclassing. We're in this weird place where the Artificer is like a 51% caster. More than a half, far less than a full.

What about the Arcane Trickster as a basis? It grants Cantrips + Casting to a martial class. Perhaps there's something in the coding that would show how to grant that stuff to the Artificer from level 1.
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 4th, 2019, 08:11 AM
The Arcane Trickers, like the Eldritch Knight, are 1/3 casters and do get cantrips. From what I have seen so far ahlf caster simply can't get spells period until 2nd level. Still feeling out my options here.

I can force the spells and cantrips at 1st level, but they come up in red (error). Unless HeroLab makes changes, I may look at going full caster and then coding everything. I am nit sure yet.

On the other hand, everything else seems to be going well so far. I have all the spells added and the core class abilities. I have also been adding class items and Adjustments to implement class features for items that players other than the Artificer himself can use. For example the various Infuse Items that the Artificer can create.

Mergon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2019, 07:00 PM
My suggestion is that you should report this as a bug, since it is affecting what you are doing, which was coded based on the SRD and WotC is implementing changes to that now...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old March 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I agree with RavenX. Let's see if LW is able to give us the ability to do cantrips and spellcasting at level 1 for Half-Casters. It might be a quicker fix for them. Worst case scenario, we get a "no."
Fenris447 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 5th, 2019, 11:40 AM
After applyign the lastest update to HL the issue seems to have gone away. I need to do some more testing to see if I can get it back. If not it's a win no matter how it got fixed.

Working on the Archetypes currently, then I need to create the Homunculus and Turret. Once I do a few test builds, I'll post it to GIT if I can.

Mergon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM
I need to post a feature request for the new Artificer so they can get their cantrips and spells at 1st level. Which forum should I post this request to?

Mergon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old March 12th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I usually send an e-mail to the support box and see if I can get feedback. The devs sometimes miss 5e specific requests from the forums.

(And, they seem to still be prioritizing CM & HLO).
dungeonguru is offline   #10 Reply With Quote