Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

JoeOfMars

Old June 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hey all,
Ok, for some reason, after closing HL Editor, and posting here asking questions about Unique ID's, my 'Fitness' attribute for Star Trek ICON system showed up. But now of course is how do I get rid of the other 'standard' attributes (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)??

Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks for help in advance!

JoeOfMars
JoeOfMars is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old June 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
So I checked the HL Kit Wiki; the page that explains how to alter the sample kit stuff doesn't exist, and that's the info I need. Still looking for help if anyone can!! One thing I noticed was the use of Windows Notepad to alter XLM files. I don't know how that helps.
JoeOfMars is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old June 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
So, I know HOW to open the HL files using Notepad, but not what files to alter when I do.

I want to change the Sample Kit attributes (Strength, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) to MY skills.

What file do I need to open to do that?
Any help appreciated!!

JoeOFMars
JoeOfMars is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:09 PM
To change the attributes you need to open thing_attributes.dat and change or add your own. To change skills, you have to alter the attribute linkage fields in thing_skills.dat. You should look over the skeletal files carefully. Personally I would make a copy of the skeletal files before editing anything, so that you've got the existing skeletal files for reference.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I already blew that RavenX! I deleted most of the skills file and now I'm stuck and can't open the Authoring Kit because of errors!!

(Does anyone have a copy of the sample kit 'thing_skill' file they can send me?)

JoeOfMars
JoeOfMars is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I was trying to create LUG's ICON Star Trek game. I figured out how to open 'thing_attributes.dat' file, but when I altered that, then EVERYTHING else is get's a Syntax error (attr doesn't exist kind of things).

Is there anyway to avoid this, or do I have to go into EVERY file and alter them? I tried simply erasing files, but that leads to more errors in other files, and I'm afraid I'm going to end up deleting files that are necessary. In fact, I already deleted stuff in 'thing_skills' that I have to figure out how to re download because the authoring kit won't open because of errors now that I caused by altering and not saving a copy of the skills!!!

Thanks!
JoeOfMars
JoeOfMars is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:39 AM
For the Deathwatch data I have done, I had to alter what was already present in the files. I leave one to two skills in there t first, and then start the process of deleting things. Dependency errors are going to pop up, that's just part of the process. The skeleton files are a framework for your system. Have you looked at the HLkitwiki by chance? The Savage Worlds example I had to study extensively before deleting the files.

As for downloading, you should be able to re download and import the skeleton file from the Downloads screen. When it asks if you'd like to Overwrite the files already there, click Yes. It should then give you the skeleton files in their unaltered state again.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Joe,

Also, when working with a new system, your best bet is to first duplicate the Skeleton files to a new system/folder. That way, when you're working with it you can always copy from the original.
TCArknight is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old September 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I may be stating an obvious thing here but the attribute file will not let you save changes. How do I do this?
talsharien is offline   #9 Reply With Quote