Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

JoeOfMars

Old June 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I checked the HL wiki, the page I am looking for doesn't exist!

I want to change the Sample Kit attribute set! I know how to ADD my attributes, but not alter/delete the existing ones.

So, I know HOW to open the HL files using Notepad, but not what files to alter when I do.

I want to change the Sample Kit attributes (Strength, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) to MY skills.

What file do I need to open to do that?
Any help appreciated!!

JoeOFMars
JoeOfMars is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 15th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOfMars View Post
I checked the HL wiki, the page I am looking for doesn't exist!

I want to change the Sample Kit attribute set! I know how to ADD my attributes, but not alter/delete the existing ones.

So, I know HOW to open the HL files using Notepad, but not what files to alter when I do.

I want to change the Sample Kit attributes (Strength, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) to MY skills.

What file do I need to open to do that?
Any help appreciated!!

JoeOFMars
Look at the thing_attributes.dat and thing_skills.dat files. Also, I suggest Notepad++ as an editor.
Kairos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
Look at the thing_attributes.dat and thing_skills.dat files. Also, I suggest Notepad++ as an editor.
Ok, so I figured out how to open and alter the 'thing_attributes.dat' file, but now everything in the Sample kit files that used the sample attributes is coming up as errors and it won't let me open the HL Editor Authoring Kit.

Do I have to erase or alter EVERY file that used the sample kit D&D stats!? Or is there an easier way to do what I am trying to do?

Joe
JoeOfMars is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'd recommend starting from just the skeleton files (Develop Menu...Create new game system), rather than the sample. Then there's only one or two sample attributes to erase, and they're not linked in very many places.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOfMars View Post
Ok, so I figured out how to open and alter the 'thing_attributes.dat' file, but now everything in the Sample kit files that used the sample attributes is coming up as errors and it won't let me open the HL Editor Authoring Kit.

Do I have to erase or alter EVERY file that used the sample kit D&D stats!? Or is there an easier way to do what I am trying to do?

Joe
When altering anything in the skeleton data, you will have errors to hunt down and fix initially. It takes a little time to do but once you've finished the fixes, and attribute linkage changes you should be ok.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM
There are a couple default attributes and skills linked and included in the equipment code. I use Notepad++ which allows you to do a search and replace on a string within an entire folder. I usually use this feature to replace the defaults that the comments indicate are used elsewhere with a skill or attribute from the game I'm working on, even if the skill or attribute is not technically correct. I just make a note to change it when I get to the relevant section of the data files.
Kairos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote