Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Globetrotter

Old May 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I had this strange issue last session, but it's not a bug so I don't want to submit it as such.

It has to do weight and encumbrance.

I had to take my armor off a number of times, swimming and climbing checks.
When I deselect the armor, I have to then go to the equipment screen and drop the armor to the ground. Then back peddle to put it on again.

I have to do this since there are check penalties for these two skills.

Is there a way to add a box on the item line that says dropped or held... something? That would make calculating encumbrance a snap. My character has two sets of armor, one for the evening and one for the day (light vs medium so I can sleep with some AC), so I have to do a lot of moving of items around to get my sheet correct.

Granted, I like to put my equipment in sacks and bags to know where everything is. I love that you can do that in hero lab. But dropping the item is a lot of clicks...

Maybe the masses can think of a better method.
Globetrotter is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
Tasha

Old May 25th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Instead of throwing to the floor just give it to your mount or lackey.

On the Quick Equip Screen, Click Move gear, Choose "Give to Hero", Choose your mount etc. GTG. If the character has a bag of holding etc, you can also choose to move it to bag of Holding by using "Hold in New Container"

I guess that's as many clicks as dropping it on the ground. but at least it feels better
Tasha is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
sazeral

Old May 25th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Not sure if this is the right place... I was looking for an official feature suggestion thread but don't see it...

1. Allow for pictures to be taken with the iPad camera and saved with the journal entry. This way we can save images of the adventure records and not keep up with paperwork.

2. Use cloud storage to save characters from both Hero Labs and the iPad and allow them to save seamlessly between each other.

3. Need a simple rolling interface in the iPad version for simple one-off rolls.

I'm sure I'll think of more as I use it more.
Thanks
Brad
sazeral is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
harmor

Old June 18th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Moved post from other thread:

HeroLab App is awesome! Safari works fine downloading .por files. Chrome and Mercury browsers are buggy with .por files (have to download as .zip into Goodreader).

Four feature requests to consider:

1. Allow Landscape mode
2. Allow collapsing sections
3. Sync with Dropbox
4. Folders to organize characters in the main screen
harmor is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
Tasha

Old June 27th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I think they plan on sync with the Realm Works Cloud server, when that is finally rolled out.

I just want to see another Game (ie Savage Worlds would be nifty) supported.
Tasha is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old July 14th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hi all. Great thread. The iPad app is really fun and mostly easy to use. Here are my first impression notes after using the app for a couple of gaming sessions.

First of all, thank you for this awesome app! The layout and interface are fairly intuitive, after a bit of getting used to the way things are organized. Makes good use of limited space. Most of the issues I found are pretty minor. Overall, it's a great app, and makes it fun to save trees. If any or all these changes can be applied, I think it would make the app even better:

1. Main Screen -> Abilities to activate & Resources used, and -> Gear & Charges Used. All these start at zero and go to full (as the title "charges used" implies). But this is intuitively the reverse of what it should be. E.g. if I look at my Hero Points, and the app says 0, that means I have 3 Hero points; if it says 3, it means I have none. E.g. if I have 20 arrows, the counter is at zero. Should be the other way around. 20/20 means full. 0/20 means empty. Same with wands, potions, tanglefoot bags, rations, etc. I'd prefer to show all these as number remaining, rather than number used. Same with consumable items. For spells it's fine the way it is, or either way.

2. Main Screen: If I own an item, but it's not equipped, the item's powers still show under Gear & Charges Used. If I unequip an item, the powers shouldn't be available to me. E.g. I own a Ring of Elemental Command, but left it at home; in that case, my Abilities to Activate & Resources Used shouldn't show any of that ring's abilities.

3. +1 on the Dropbox Sync!

4. Main page -> Spells: Show my character's Spell DC's right on the main page, in the Spells section (rather than having to go all the way into the Spells page)

5. Personal Page: Show my character's alignment (e.g. on the Personal page under Background Information).

6. Personal page: Why am I able to change my gender, height, age, weight, etc.? These are basically permanent. If I can't add levels or feats, why should I be able to change these? I can only assume this is in preparation for future features of the app where we can gain levels directly in the app (which is awesome), but for now these items should be fixed. This would also allow more real estate for the character's basic information that is currently missing from the sheet (e.g. Alignment).

7. All Special Abilities -> Race Abilities: Same as above — I shouldn't be able to alter my +2 to ability score. Once it's set it's set (at least with the app's present state as a character player, not a character creator).

8. Main page: Show skill breakdown when tapping for description of each skill, the same way it shows AC breakdown. (e.g. Intimidate +15: "Intimidating" racial feature +2, Cha +2, Intimidating Prowess +5, ranks +6)

9. Conditions page: A "reset conditions" button would be nice.

10. Adjustments -> Add Spell Adjustments: there's no add for Mirror Image.

I hope this helps, and I hope to see some or all of these suggestions in a near-future update.

Thanks!!
geekomancer is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekomancer View Post
1. Main Screen -> Abilities to activate & Resources used, and -> Gear & Charges Used. All these start at zero and go to full (as the title "charges used" implies). But this is intuitively the reverse of what it should be. E.g. if I look at my Hero Points, and the app says 0, that means I have 3 Hero points; if it says 3, it means I have none. E.g. if I have 20 arrows, the counter is at zero. Should be the other way around. 20/20 means full. 0/20 means empty. Same with wands, potions, tanglefoot bags, rations, etc. I'd prefer to show all these as number remaining, rather than number used. Same with consumable items. For spells it's fine the way it is, or either way.
As a DM I have not used the app as a player but I have had several of my players now make this mention as well actually. Personally I can see it both ways but just wanted to add that their is similar in play experiences.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:53 PM
We just picked up an iPad. I'm not a fan of Apple's business practices, but it was the right decision since our son uses them in school.

Of the first 10 apps, Hero Lab was one of them, and when I saw it on that Retina Display, I was enthralled.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
knight2142

Old July 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Any word on the next version of the App? The one that lets us level up and create characters.
knight2142 is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
harmor

Old July 26th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hush man ... if they let us level up our characters we would have to buy all the modules again. Keep the app free. If I need to level up I just create multiple .POR files and import them.
harmor is offline   #90 Reply With Quote