Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kungfuchris99

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I've gotten reasonably adept at adding simple custom elements, like new Skills or new Hindrances, even some new Edges. But for the fantasy campaign that I'm going to run I need a bit more than that. I've been reading posts here and the links in the "Common Code Examples" thread, but I'm not gonna lie, my brain starts to cramp when I try to figure out how to take "sorta but not quite what I want to do" examples and then apply them to what I'm hoping to accomplish.

There are two things that I'm wanting to do. The first is that I want to create a package of abilities similar to a racial package but in this case it's something different (it's a package of edges and powers gained by characters who have all been enchanted by magical energy from an ancient artifact).

The second is something along the lines of a Hero System-style power pool. I want to have it where each character has a certain number of "power slots", X, and a certain number of known powers, Y, where Y is greater than X (and characters can choose to have multiple instances of a power in their pool of ready powers, similar to D&D's old cleric spells).

Are either of those doable in the editor and if so how?

--Chris
kungfuchris99 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think the first thing is kind of like the In-Game Effects (I've got to thing of a better term for it) I've asked for in the Features Request thread. Probably the way to go about it for now is to add the effect you want as a new Hindrance (that way it costs noting to add it during an Advance.) Yeah, you're not really adding a Hindrance, but if you want to add something to free I'd say right now that's probably the best way to do it. Then on your Hindrance just Bootstrap the things you need to it, if they already exist, and otherwise code the effects for it if they don't. Just ask here if you have any issues when you get down to the specifics of trying to add that stuff and some of us can see if we can help you out.

The second, though... I'm a tad stumped. Maybe if I mull it over I can think of something, or maybe jbear can when he checks in again.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
For the first, are you using Factions or Groups in your game? If not, you could set up a Faction or Group with the attributes you want, and then assign that Faction/Group to the affected characters.

For the second, check out Super Sorcery. It's the power that best duplicates the Variable Power Pool from Hero.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kungfuchris99

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, CC! Factions/Groups looks like it should work.

If I want to add Super Sorcery as a custom Arcane Power in the editor, how do I do that (does it make sense to do that)?

Also, if I want to create a custom Edge that gives a player character more points to spend on Attributes (that can be taken during character creation or later via an advance), can I do that?

Thanks again!

--Chris
kungfuchris99 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuchris99 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, CC! Factions/Groups looks like it should work.

If I want to add Super Sorcery as a custom Arcane Power in the editor, how do I do that (does it make sense to do that)?
First off, sorry to take so long to reply. I'm on a second vacation and I've been fighting in an HEMA tournament for the past few days which has been taking up all my time. But since I've got some time now...

It looks like Super Sorcery doesn't do anything specifically in Hero Lab itself, so presumably you would just need to make a new Arcane Power and copy the text in from the SPC Power of Super Sorcery. CC can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Quote:
Also, if I want to create a custom Edge that gives a player character more points to spend on Attributes (that can be taken during character creation or later via an advance), can I do that?
That shouldn't be a problem at all. The code for it is in an Eval Script for the Edge, at Setup/5000 just put the following:

Code:
#resmax[resAttrib] += 1
Or however many Attribute Points you want the Edge to give.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
My mistake, I had thought you were using the Super Powers Companion because you compared it to Hero. There's nothing like that under standard Arcane Powers. The only way I could see that working presently is simply allowing them to drop and add different Arcane Powers. There isn't really a provision for a D&D-like spell system where they can choose different spells every day.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #6 Reply With Quote