Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

meek75

Old August 18th, 2015, 04:53 AM
I have been running Hoard of the Dragon Queen and am now eight sessions into it. Entering a multi-session adventure like this one has brought up a feature that I'd like to see added. I would like to be able to turn the auto-linking feature on and off for individual topics. Let me explain what I mean - I have several adventure locations that have a "Kitchen". When I am entering the session information for that adventure I want the "Kitchen" to auto-link as I add information on that adventure. However, when I move on to the next part of the adventure path and a enter a new location that also has a "kitchen" I no longer what it to auto-link to the older "kitchen".. I would like to be able to check/uncheck a box somewhere that turns the auto-link on and off. Once links are created they should stay in place, but not create more links if auto-link is off. The situation is manageable now by using prefixes and suffixes, but over time I end up with a lot of "Kitchen", "Guest Room" , "Parlor" and the such like and inevitably end up moving to quickly and linking to the wring one.
meek75 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 18th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Common words like "kitchen" or "stairs" as names for location topics are a problem... but the solution suggested is less than desirable overall. For example, there is no reason to think that a later part of an adventure will not reference an earlier part. In that case, you would *want* the topics to auto-link.

For my own use, I sometimes re-name a location with a too-common name (so "Stairs" in Adventure 1 Part 1 becomes "Warehouse Stair 1", and "Stairs" in Adventure 1 Part 2 becomes "Mansion Stair 1", for example). I also do this because when the topic is revealed to the players, the name may contain information they do not yet have (such as re-naming "Pete's bedroom" to "Northwest small bedroom").

The Prefix and Suffix fields can help here. I am using the Suffix to differentiate by broader location ("Warehouse" or "Mansion", using the above examples).

My main point though, is that I want the auto-linking to find prior references.. if only because while entering material, something has to come first, and I want material added later to "find" its references.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old August 18th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
My main point though, is that I want the auto-linking to find prior references.. if only because while entering material, something has to come first, and I want material added later to "find" its references.
Yeah, I agree that there are times I want to auto-link to prior references, and in that case I would simply leave the auto-link "on". However, depending on how a module is written there are times I can be almost certain that I don't want the prior links. Session 1 took place miles and miles from where the party is currently and (having read the module) I know that there is no "kitchen" in that town I want linked. If there is a specific instance I want linked I always have the option of turning auto-link back on or doing a manual link. Overall, I would like the ability to define for myself what does and does not get auto-linked.
meek75 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 18th, 2015, 05:43 AM
IIRC, this was part of the name control dialog they showed me at Gen Con. (It might not be hooked up for a year or two, but it's something. :)

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old August 18th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
IIRC, this was part of the name control dialog they showed me at Gen Con. (It might not be hooked up for a year or two, but it's something. :)
Thanks for the information. The info evokes both hope and despair - it's on the agenda (woot!); years away (boo). Always better to have the information though .
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 18th, 2015, 02:03 PM
An alternative way to handle multiple kitchens could be if RW supported using tags to determine the best "automatic" choice.

e.g. if I have a kitchen with a Source tag then other topics with the same Source tag that mention kitchen would use that particular kitchen as their preferred choice; leaving my other kitchen with a different Source tag as an alternative choice.

--

Another alternative would be to use the topic category hierarchy, so it would find the closest "relative" - either with the same parent topic, or the same grand-parent topic, etc.
Farling is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old August 19th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
An alternative way to handle multiple kitchens could be if RW supported using tags to determine the best "automatic" choice.

e.g. if I have a kitchen with a Source tag then other topics with the same Source tag that mention kitchen would use that particular kitchen as their preferred choice; leaving my other kitchen with a different Source tag as an alternative choice.

--

Another alternative would be to use the topic category hierarchy, so it would find the closest "relative" - either with the same parent topic, or the same grand-parent topic, etc.
Hmm, I like your second option better than the first. If RW prioritized choices based on proximity that would be helpful. When it gives me the list of possible matches it defaults to the closest -- I like it. However, I still would like the ability to turn off auto-links whenever I see fit. There are just some topics I'll never want linked too again.
meek75 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote