Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old August 7th, 2019, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Hero Lab Online will log you out when you log in on another session, if you've entered a different Device Nickname on each device+browser combination. (That's what it's asking you to do with the "Wrong device name" error.)

For example, I might have "ParodyComp Vivaldi" and "ParodyComp Firefox" on my computer and "ParodyPhone Chrome" on my Android phone. (Each in their respective browsers.)

When you log in on a different device+browser combo, one of the notifications will be "You have reached your device limit, and your least-recently used devices will be automatically logged out soon: (nickname)". When you go back to that machine, you'll get "Your session has expired and you will need to log in again."
Thanks! I was thinking of device names in terms of the actual device, like with HLC. I wasn't thinking in terms of different device names for different browsers on the same device. That's good to know, though.
EightBitz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 7th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
You're paying for the cloud/web access that allows you to access the character on any device anywhere that you need it, without needing to carry around a large laptop (e.g. for HL classic).
I used the same iPad for HLC as I use for HLO. No large laptop required. Only one of those wasn't slowed down or unusable due to "server issues".
flyteach is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Itzi

Old August 8th, 2019, 06:53 AM
To add another anecdote ...

Right after the roll out (which was certainly suffering load-scaling issues), HLO was running slowly on my chromebook. While HLC was ... oh ... wait, that doesn't run on my chromebook, nevermind.

Keep up the good work, LW.

(Just make it, you know, faster. )
Itzi is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old August 9th, 2019, 05:56 PM
What, preytell, is a chrome book? Must be really expensive, like Chrome bumpers on a car...
thaX is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old August 9th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
What, preytell, is a chrome book? Must be really expensive, like Chrome bumpers on a car...
It's much less than what Google charges for their Silverbook, or the Goldbook.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Itzi

Old August 12th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Much less than the Silverbook or Goldbook and it's great for doing just web stuff.
Itzi is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
In case you're seriously asking (as so far the responses have been joking), Chromebooks are computers running ChromeOS by Google. They tend to be cheaper than laptops running Apple or Microsoft OSes, but generally run their own brands of software. Some of them don't even operate with offline persistent storage, but rather interface with the internet for storing data on the cloud.

HeroLab Classic only runs natively on Windows, Macintosh, and iOS systems (with some support on Linux with WINE-based emulators), so it will not run on a Chromebook without extensive modification (those laptops with persistent storage can be rigged to run a Linux environment, which could then use WINE to run Hero Lab).

Most Chromebooks are 3rd party, but Google has also released the Pixelbook, a pricier, but higher-performing laptop. I use one for work, personally. It still won't run HLC without extensive modification.
Duggan is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
qstor

Old August 15th, 2019, 04:40 AM
Yeah but with Hero lab classic you only pay once. I don't "need" cloud access to my characters cause I print them out.
qstor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Itzi

Old August 15th, 2019, 07:49 AM
That may be so, but rapidly vanishing is the day when you could pay $30.00 for a piece of software and expect to get free updates to it for the rest of your life. There's no business model there anymore.

Yeah, it's sad to see it go. But the world changes and businesses have to adapt to stay liquid.
Itzi is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 15th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qstor View Post
Yeah but with Hero lab classic you only pay once. I don't "need" cloud access to my characters cause I print them out.
Save the environment and use screens at the table

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote