Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Azhrei

Old December 1st, 2019, 07:14 PM
Hey all.

I want to buy a package that contains everything needed for easy use of the Summon Monster tables. It looks like the Summoner's Pack has that (for $6, on sale).

But it mentions "everything needed from the Encounter Library". The iPad app, which is what I use at the game table, doesn't have an "Encounter Library". Will this pack be usable in the iPad app?

If not, should I consider the GM Bundle instead, which includes five bestiaries and a couple other books? Or would that work the same way and require the encounter library?

I want to pick up what I need while it's on sale, so if you know the answer, please reply. Thanks!
Azhrei is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 1st, 2019, 09:33 PM
You can't get at the summoning libraries while on the iPad, but what you can do is import them into a portfolio on the desktop and transfer that portfolio to the iPad - it won't give you everything, but you can set up your favorites.

The bestiaries would work the same way - you'll be able to download stock portfolios into portfolios on the desktop and then transfer them to the iPad. Or you'll be able to create a new character, make them an NPC, and then choose the right monster race.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:54 AM
Okay, thanks.
Azhrei is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 2nd, 2019, 05:12 AM
I will note that if you import a summon into a por, all of the associated summoning addons do come with it. I created a summon I & II por files for a few of my characters to use via the iPad.
Minous is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:09 AM
Hm. I bought the GM Bundle, so hopefully the 'summon addons' as you mention are included. It was much more expensive than just the summoned monsters list for players, so I'm hopeful. Thanks for the note, though; I haven't had a chance yet to play with it... (Darn work keeps getting in the way of my hobby time!)

Last edited by Azhrei; December 4th, 2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: corrected autocorrect correction
Azhrei is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old December 4th, 2019, 11:06 AM
So I've reactivated my license and I can see the new monsters. Woohoo!

I'm going through the Summon Monster tables (starting with IV since that's the highest level my character can do) and it's a big pain. I can type a string into the search box, but it's never clear exactly what the string should be. For example, "ant, drone" or "drone ant" or "giant ant, drone" e "giant ant (drone)" or ...??

So far I've just been using words that I think are likely to be the most unique, like "drone" in this example, and hoping that it filters the list enough. But even that is kinda strange since there are duplicates of many monsters and no obvious reason for the duplication. For example, the list will indicate that a monster comes from Bestiary 2, then an identical entry below it will also say that it comes from Bestiary 2. The only difference seems to be in the "?" statblock because one has the "© Hero Lab" at the bottom and the other doesn't?!

Anyway, to my next question... Would anyone who has already done this care to share the portfolios they've created? Since I bought the GM Bundle, I now have Bestiaries 1 thru 5 and a couple other books. I presume that if someone has a portfolio that contains these creatures — and they're the ones from those same sources — that I'd be able to use them. (Is that correct?)

Thanks all.
Azhrei is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 4th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Azhrei, do you have a computer you are working with? If so Id stress grabbing the Summoner's sidekick. It has all of summons broken down by summon type and includes all of the augment/feat boost effects that you will never need.
Minous is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 4th, 2019, 12:20 PM
In Hero Lab, in the Gamemaster menu, choose "Show Encounter Library", and find the "Summoner's Sidekick" library. I only see one "Ant, giant (drone)" in the Summon Monster IV list there.

For other monsters, use the encounter builder, also from the Gamemaster menu - there, you can get at pre-built portfolios of the monsters, with all the equipment and settings done as in the Bestiary or other source for that monster/NPC.

Also, check what user-created add-ons you've got that might be adding extra monsters. Looking at a copy of HL with only our content, I only see 6 entries starting with "Ant, Giant", and they all follow the "Ant, Giant" pattern, like "Ant, Giant Drone", Ant, Giant Queen", etc.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 4th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Mathias I think they are just pulling from the generic race list/encounter builder list and not using the sidekick library/encounter library.
Minous is offline   #9 Reply With Quote