Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM
I assume that the Web-based players access will only be available to those who have the cloud service. That could be worth it and for me is more important than the content marketplace. My group meets for long sessions, but only once a month, so it would be nice to give everyone access to info from prior sessions without them all having to buy and install the players edition—especially those that would prefer to access it on the Mac or, more likely, and iPad.

I like the cloud sync for backup but I don't know that 24 a year is worth it. I use SpiderOak for cloud backup and there are other great and cheap products like Crash Plan that can back up your data to the cloud and even synch via shared directories.

It is an interesting business model to charge people access to your store. If it were my company, I would give free access to the content store, because I want people to buy content. If they buy over $X amount in content, I would throw in a year's worth of web-based players view and sync/online backup.
MNBlockHead is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
Ok now I am confused. Are you saying that we are already using our "cloud" service from the time of purchase? I thought this started when they got the online store? If that is the case then my stuff isn't backing up when it says it is? Am I misunderstanding the conversation here? It's late :P
Your cloud service time started November 19, 2014 or when you purchased and set up your RW GM Edition account.

If you only have the free six months you have until mid to late June to decide if you want to keep paying for cloud backups and whatever else.

I thought it had started earlier, but I was incorrect. Sorry.

Parody is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I like the cloud sync for backup but I don't know that 24 a year is worth it.
$40 a year. $24 for 6 months.
MaxSupernova is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:40 PM
Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting me. I still might pay the 40 if the Web version is nice and if my subscription allows me to share my realm with all my players via the Web version without them needing to buy a players license.
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:42 AM
In my opinion $40 a year just for backing up my data and sharing is outrageous. I really like RW, but that is so off-putting I don't recommend it to others. I can't imagine that I will be willing to pay $40 a year plus the purchase price of whatever module or rule set I want to purchase. RPG Now stores all my purchases in their cloud for free! I get that we get more service from LWD than simple file storage. We get the ability to share our material with players. However, a lot of us don't use that feature at all. I don't use the sharing feature and don't think simple storage is worth anywhere near $40 a year. Charging me for the opportunity to buy stuff from them makes me want to reject the whole thing on principal. If that is the model they use I may just self RW and move on. I think LWD is making a terrible miss-step on this one. Of course, I may be totally wrong and they have it nailed -- time will tell.
meek75 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:08 AM
@meek75 if the Web version allows as many players as you want to view your realm without them needing to install software and being able to access it from tablets at the table, then it would be offering value beyond a marketplace and backup. For me, that could make it worth it.

Also, if the subscription comes with access to a good amount of high-quality content that doesn't cost extra, that could make it worth it, if you use that content.

We'll have to wait and see.
MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting me. I still might pay the 40 if the Web version is nice and if my subscription allows me to share my realm with all my players via the Web version without them needing to buy a players license.
Exactly my thoughts.
MaxSupernova is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
I will wait for final prices & finished products before ranting over and over again. Since nothing is set in stone yet I will make up my mind when the features are delivered.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
In my opinion $40 a year just for backing up my data and sharing is outrageous. I really like RW, but that is so off-putting I don't recommend it to others. I can't imagine that I will be willing to pay $40 a year plus the purchase price of whatever module or rule set I want to purchase. RPG Now stores all my purchases in their cloud for free! I get that we get more service from LWD than simple file storage. We get the ability to share our material with players. However, a lot of us don't use that feature at all. I don't use the sharing feature and don't think simple storage is worth anywhere near $40 a year. Charging me for the opportunity to buy stuff from them makes me want to reject the whole thing on principal. If that is the model they use I may just self RW and move on. I think LWD is making a terrible miss-step on this one. Of course, I may be totally wrong and they have it nailed -- time will tell.

I have to agree with a good part of this. I love realm works but for me I thought the backup was part of it, even though I was apprehensive at first about doing it.

I don't want to stop using RW though but really hope they reconsider this. I shouldn't have to pay a high fee just too back up my data. To me the price was a bit high for this product but I do love it.

Also what happens to my data if I don't pay the fee right off - or for some time? Do you delete what you have after my 6mos freebee is up? What if I don't pay and crash the next day can I still get restored or am I SOL? (Maybe LWD can chime in here)

Not everyone has the cash for this kind of expense. I have a lot of health issues and my finances are strapped. Now with 2 copies that will be 100 bucks a year that's absurd for me. I loved this product so much that I got a second copy for our household to avoid issues with 2 ppl entering content, but now I am thinking it may have been a mistake.

I thought our free trial time was so we could try out the store and see if it is worth getting (although I think charging to get into a store is a bad idea as well).

Also checking out the new site for RW (wasn't up when I bought that I know of) it says that this pricing is for a "standard tier" so does that mean things will be increased more? It also mentions it can hold enough data for a Pathfinder Adventure Path? Does this mean I am limited on my world size? This could be very problematic depending on how big this cap is.... Hopefully someone (LWD) can answer this?

Again, I really hope LWD reconsiders their strategy on this.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
I will wait for final prices & finished products before ranting over and over again. Since nothing is set in stone yet I will make up my mind when the features are delivered.
Haven't seen anyone ranting just voicing concerns and trying to get answers.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #20 Reply With Quote