Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

FatherThomas

Old May 30th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I thinking about purchasing a windows tablet and I was wondering if anyone who has used herolab in the table mode could give me a review.

thanks
FatherThomas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 30th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Is HeroLab for Windows actually usable in tablet mode? I though that was a development-only thing.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 30th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Is HeroLab for Windows actually usable in tablet mode? I though that was a development-only thing.
If you're talking about the "change interface role" menu, that's actually for the Hero Lab team to use for debugging - it lets them load the iPad user interface in the main version of Hero Lab to see how things look. The interface isn't fully supported yet, so it's not available for use in the desktop version.

It's on our to-do list to make it available, but there are a handful of items that need to be finished first. We'll announce any news on our website and in our newsletter.
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old June 6th, 2014, 06:13 PM
i have a Dell XPS 18.4 tablet/desktop and the touch screen works well with it.
flamepulse is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old June 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
If you're talking about the "change interface role" menu, that's actually for the Hero Lab team to use for debugging - it lets them load the iPad user interface in the main version of Hero Lab to see how things look. The interface isn't fully supported yet, so it's not available for use in the desktop version.

It's on our to-do list to make it available, but there are a handful of items that need to be finished first. We'll announce any news on our website and in our newsletter.
Oh! PLEASE make this happen sooner vs later!

I use HL on a MS Surface Pro more for "in character during play" than I do "character development" (hours wise) and a nice interface to "run" your characters at the table would be wonderful!

Also, I'm ordering a MS Surface Pro 3 soon so if you need beta testers for this interface, I'd be more than willing to run a beta build...

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Teldon.Tassletale

Old July 4th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I have a Dell Venue 8, it works fine on it, but the buttons are a little too small in the UI and require a stylus and a steady hand. I wouldn't recommend this size for most users. A few beers and it's too frustrating to hit the right buttons. A quick re-skin (just make them bigger) would do wonders for the tablet users, and because it's Windows... well... little to no coding!

My wife has a surface 3 and last week used it during the session. It worked perfectly, and her stylus was able to click the buttons without issue and often was able to use her finger to click things. It helps when you scale up the desktop a little.

The nice thing is the form factor is just about perfect, plus she was easily able to jump to OneNote for game tracking. The party and the DM at our table share the same OneNote book with separate tabs for players, general notes, etc. Nice thing is that it was continuously syncing between the players so they all had the same information, regardless of who was recording the notes! Which is good because I don't like a single player to have to play secretary all night, and rotate the RP through them all. So when one is rping, the other just takes over note taking and things work great.

Better yet, the OneNote method means they can access it later... or any time they want.. on any device that supports it. I also use One Drive to distribute campaign setting notes (I run a homebrew setting that's been years in the development) Between the Windows tablets, One Note and being able to share via One Drive, life got a lot easier. I'd hope that the RealmWorks player interface would be able to do some of the same things. The Synced notes is an extremely important feature (And yes OneNote tells you who added the text)
Teldon.Tassletale is offline   #6 Reply With Quote