Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Heru

Old November 18th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Hello all,
I just downloaded Realm Works this last weekend and I'm very happy with it this far. This morning, I've put my Realm Works installation on my USB stick and left for work. I usually do all the prep work for my weekend group during the week, while I'm at work. So, I started Realm Works, and DING! It won't open and tells me, that it could not connect to the server and register this machine. "Of course you cant connect, proxy server won't let you..." was my response...

My question is, are there any plans to make Realm Works "portable" for people that like to carry it around on a USB stick (like myself)?

Best regards
Heru is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM
The basic intention of RealmWorks is for the data to be stored "in the cloud" on a database server that local clients will connect to and sync with. The current local database is NOT meant to be installed on USB drive and has some machine-specific registration data which, if I understand the warnings correctly, could corrupt your data if you try to use it on two machines.

At present, the method for using 2 machines is to backup on one and restore on the other. DO NOT try to move the base database file from machine to machine, in other words.

I am sure someone from LoneWolf will be along to explain more, but that's the gist of what I understand from other posts along this line.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Heru, as Silveras mentioned, once the syncing feature is operational, you will be able to restore your realms from the server onto a different computer. Please keep in mind, this is strictly so you can use Realm Works on another computer you own, versus a friend's computer. In the mean time, there's only one way to use Realm Works on another computer you own. Rob mentioned how to do this in the Project Update #58, but I'll include it here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Update #58
If you want to run Realm Works on more than one computer, you will need to use "sneaker net" right now. Let's say you start using Realm Works on your desktop and then you want to put it on your laptop to take to the game. In order to do this, you'll need to first perform a Backup on your desktop computer, then transfer the backup file to your laptop, and finally perform a Restore of that file on your laptop. Both operations are accessed via the Manage ribbon bar. After the game, you'll need to reverse the sequence of steps. At any one point in time, you must have all your Realm Works material on one computer. Failure to do this will result in some of your data being lost. This restriction will be eliminated once full server syncing is operational.
I hope this helps!
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
timjthomas

Old November 18th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Sounds good. I would like the USB option for those of us that wish to use RW both at home and at work (during lunch for example). I often do much of my game prep during much lunch break. But my work computers are locked down and I can not install the software if it requires admin rights. I can install software that can run from a USB stick or that will install into a single directory (see portableapps.com for dozens of examples).
timjthomas is offline   #4 Reply With Quote