Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Chemlak

Old December 5th, 2018, 01:48 AM
I’m British so maybe the players were from Brussels? Dunno, I’m a remainer.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with DLG, though my players do use their player version (well, a couple of them do) to refresh their memories about things, so while it could be better, my experience is that player version is useful as long as I do my work a GM.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works

Last edited by Chemlak; December 5th, 2018 at 03:33 AM.
Chemlak is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old December 5th, 2018, 04:13 AM
I can see the passion about calendars. And some apathy.

Honestly, making sure it is a tool players can use would be important, but... in my experience, most players engage themselves in their character only, and often "don't have the energy" or "don't have the time" to manage the minutae of a character's life, like accounting or budgeting. Most people also don't engage the backstory or time line in general,they live in the moment and only deal with what is immediately relevant, so (I could see that) resources such as this are like Encyclopedias - some people enjoy them, most only consult it when they have to.

As for individual player notes, if they don't already have that... what were they thinking? And calendars should come after that. it's an immersion thing.
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 5th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaskedFerret View Post
...........to manage the minutae of a character's life, like accounting or budgeting. Most people also don't engage the backstory or time line in general,they live in the moment and only deal with what is immediately relevant,......
I can see your point, only if you don't run a sandbox type of campaign.. then there is no concern for the moon phases, the culture differences, forgotten ages or obscure dialects or forgotten empires and other things that are crunchy support of a campaign that utilizes all of those details.

But if all of those aren't important, then would the lands of Middle Earth, the Klingon Empire, Harry Potter or the interconnecting weave of the Marvel Universe be as as rich and entertaining?

That is what has enriched my campaign is 40 years of real world game play. The immersion of interconnection of story plots that tie across real generations of players, as well as multiple generations of characters across an expanse of time.

For me this IS Immersion...
just my 2cp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaskedFerret View Post
As for individual player notes, if they don't already have that... what were they thinking? And calendars should come after that. it's an immersion thing.
Well in defense of LWD ( and most know I do so sparingly) they do have a player journal of sorts.. its just a one-way street and IMHO not really any more useful than the one in Herolab.

The origin sales pitch was that the Players edition would allow for the player to upload and download all things relevant down to their character level. And since many players play a varied amount of PCs, there may be things that one PC knows that others do not.. even among ones controlled by the same player.. to this the RW Players edition fails.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old December 5th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification about the player's edition!
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #24 Reply With Quote