Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

KiwiBlaze

Old November 28th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Greetings Workians

I'm currently learning Realm Works, and currently playing in the Manage Categories section and have discovered the need for two things that I don't know - thou I'm sure there will be more later.

The first thing I'm trying to find, is a way of creating a new Category that when a new snippet is requested in World Almanac that multiple snippet's are added because of that request.

For example: When adding a new planet, there are always three snippets that make up one entry for this new addition. 1) Name, 2) Descriptions, 3) Images.

Is there a way to add a "New Planet" that will add all three of these snippets?

The second thing I have discovered, is that for different snippets than above, some information is always one answer of a set number of answers. I would like to know if there is a way to form a kind of "Dropdown List" that can be selected, instead of typing the answer each and everytime?

Last edited by KiwiBlaze; November 28th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old November 28th, 2018, 01:20 PM
If you define the three snippets in your new category, they will be shown in every new instance you create. If you already have instances of the category and chenge the definition afterwards, you have to resync the instance.

To have a kind of dropdown you have to create new tags and use a taglist.
tkarn is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 28th, 2018, 01:53 PM
To expand on tkarn's answers a little...

If you edit the category definition (or make a new customized version of the category of your own design), when adding sections and snippets, there's an "Auto-Add" checkbox. When this is checked, the snippets and categories are automatically added to new Topics using that Category. The "Shown" checkbox makes them available or unavailable for manual selection later.

Dropdowns are a problem child of a sort. Tags are pre-populated lists of choices, and each set of selections is separate. Some tags have settings that allow selection from only one Tag Domain, but that can he changed to allow selections from ANY Tag Domain. Likewise, whether only one choice is allowed, or multiple choices are allowed, can be a setting on each Snippet added to a Category definition.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old November 28th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Got and understand Dropdown selection (in concept anyway, haven't put that to the test yet).

On the other question, I believe I didn't include enough information to obtain the answer I expect.

Currently the Custom Category is setup to include one planet with the three snippets correctly. Currently, the way I would add information is update the one planet I have been given, and then would click to add another snippet for Name, Description, Image three times to get the required fields.

I'm wondering, if its possible to call this for example "Planets Full Description" and when you choose to add one of these, it adds all three snippet types.

KiwiBlaze is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 28th, 2018, 03:00 PM
You want to define sections. No, there are not pre defined sections.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old November 28th, 2018, 07:32 PM
So in trying to work around the limitation of adding predefined snippet sets to a topic entry, I was wondering if there was a way to add multiple snippets via the custom category section, so that when creating the topic of it, it has X copies for that information instead of just one copy of each snippet.

Last edited by KiwiBlaze; November 28th, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 28th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Just make copies of the snippet. I've done this on many occasions.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old November 28th, 2018, 08:56 PM
I know I can do that, but I also dont want to have to add 12 different snippets in a precise order when I want to add 4 planets.

So I'm guessing because there wasn't an answer to the question that this is not a thing currently possible.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 28th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBlaze View Post
I know I can do that, but I also dont want to have to add 12 different snippets in a precise order when I want to add 4 planets.

So I'm guessing because there wasn't an answer to the question that this is not a thing currently possible.
No, you can't add a set of snippets (or a section containing snippets) as a single action.

Looking at your topic structure, are you never going to want to link directly to a single planet within a system? If you are, then having each planet as a separate child topic of the system topic would allow for such linking.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old November 29th, 2018, 07:52 PM
The way I was thinking of doing would be (if this works)
  1. Sector Name
    • Short review of its timeline, or at least its current ownerships
    • Short descriptors that would detail what is visible when looking at a system as a whole.
    • Using this as a building asset visual guide.
  2. Planet name for the sector
    • Much more details on a single planet as a whole thing.
    • Short city descriptors for this location
    • Using this full page as a guide.
  3. City/Town names for the planet
    • Planet details that change for this location
    • Using this as a guide, mostly the video.
  4. Battle grounds / Dungeons / Major Encounters
    • Details, creatures, and ownership details.
    • Ideas and concepts from here.

My idea, except for the last cluster (4), was to include data that can be obtained from this level of inspection. So at a distance of "System", you can tell this about a certain Solar System Body of Interest.

This short description wouldn't be the full contents of what that location is. When you move the focus to an Solar System Body, you get the full text, then you can tell things of this level, and see this Bodies locations or important areas. For example, Earth has these major cities, you can learn about this government style, you can learn about these cultures.

When you move closer still, and approach a location on/within that planet, you get to learn about other details that make planet information different to this location (eg if this planet is considered a "Water world" but this location is on dry land, explaining this difference).

Another idea I just now thought of is it possible to custom "Quick Access" panel on the side of the screen where "table of contents", "Containing Topic", "Relationships" are that I could filter to show this I want shown there?

I know Containing topics will show the next level of items here, but don't always need just that information for this learning process of mine. (And I know about relationships, but... that isn't filtered to what I want to show).
KiwiBlaze is offline   #10 Reply With Quote