Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Truwen

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
So my group is getting a new player. I am introducing her as a Weretiger rogue. She is an afflicted weretiger, so my question is this. She was afflicted around level 6, does the weretigers HD add to her class level? Ultimately effecting her experience gain?

Looking in the basics tab at the Class levels section with level 1 rogue and then 2-9 weretiger template.

Next level: 10 (45000 XP to go). Is this how this works? I just assumed she whould gain the HD of the weretiger (gaining more hps, abilities, damage reduction etc) I didn't expect it would effect her rate of leveling.

At any rate I need help on understanding the Lycanthrope rules/how to apply the affliction to an already leveled character. (Keep in mind the class and levels above were just for example purposes and I don't currently have her character inputted into hero lab).
Truwen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Adding a lycanthrope template is like starting off with a monster race. The number of hit dice and the level adjustment change her effective character level. Your example of a 1st level character afflicted with lycanthropy (weretiger) becomes a 9th level character (1 class level, 6 racial HD, +2 LA). Assuming you don't want her to be a 9th level character, there is a way to slowly introduce the racial levels. Savage Species has examples of how to do this, but basically you would level her with racial hit dice instead of class levels for 8 levels.

I did this for a character in my campaign (werepanther), so if you're stuck on how to begin, I can throw some ideas your way. As for HeroLab, the template is currently configured to add all levels at one time. If you want to do it one level at a time, I imagine you would need to create a new class called weretiger, make it max out at 6 levels, and have it progress as a class would (but with the weretiger features). Somehow we'd also have to introduce a level adjustment, but I think that might be possible through an eval script.

Last edited by Sendric; March 9th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Sendric is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Truwen

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM
After reading your post and thinking about it I think as a new DM I am just going to back burner this idea and have this player roll up as a straight rogue.

Thanks for your input though. =)

Last edited by Truwen; March 9th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Truwen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
If you are a new GM, I'd certainly recommend starting off with tried and true concepts and avoiding gonzo stuff (like a PC lycanthrope) that could unbalance your campaign right from the start.
Lord Magus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Magus View Post
If you are a new GM, I'd certainly recommend starting off with tried and true concepts and avoiding gonzo stuff (like a PC lycanthrope) that could unbalance your campaign right from the start.
+1 all to true! And best advice.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Truwen

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, that's the conclusion I came up with too. Simply because after reading more and more it was getting more and more confusing/challenging.

I do appreciate the input.
Truwen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truwen View Post
Thanks guys, that's the conclusion I came up with too. Simply because after reading more and more it was getting more and more confusing/challenging.

I do appreciate the input.
I couldnt agree more. Too many players like to go with crazy concepts, but im a big fan of core books. If you allow the "complete" books, there is a LOT of character concepts you can do with just core. No need to have super crazy concepts from the getgo.

And that has nothing to do with herolab, thats just the game in general.
mirtos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old April 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I couldnt agree more. Too many players like to go with crazy concepts, but im a big fan of core books. If you allow the "complete" books, there is a LOT of character concepts you can do with just core. No need to have super crazy concepts from the getgo.

And that has nothing to do with herolab, thats just the game in general.
My opinion as DM is that if players want to get crazy with their characters, then I get to go crazy with their opponents.
Sendric is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM
That only works insofar as the whole party go equally crazy. Otherwise you run the risk of crazy opponents wiping out less crazy PCs
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old April 6th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
That only works insofar as the whole party go equally crazy. Otherwise you run the risk of crazy opponents wiping out less crazy PCs
That's why I gave them access to Tome of Battle. We've gotten through 18 levels so far with only a few deaths (gotta keep those true res spells handy) so things seem to be going ok.
Sendric is online now   #10 Reply With Quote