Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

Bobcat11

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
With Swordmage, all three aegis powers are showing up on the power cards, as is my 20th level paragon power from Academy Master
Bobcat11 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Chaosbleeds

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Hey there.

Not sure if it falls within the original poster holy avenger issue, but here goes:
1) If you multiclass into a class that can use weapons as implements (such as the swordmage), one should be able to use it as implements for powers of the main class, but I can't find a way to do it. Is it something I overlooked or is it not implemented yet?

If it's not implemented, I'm suggesting it!

Thanks in advance.
Chaosbleeds is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Chaosbleeds

Old November 17th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Also,

Healing surge quantity do not properly adjust from Con to Cha after adding Ring of Tenacious Will.

EDIT: nor does equipping an Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords add a healing surge.

Last edited by Chaosbleeds; November 17th, 2010 at 03:24 AM.
Chaosbleeds is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Bobcat11

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Two more issues I've found:
Daggers aren't selectable as implements, and the 20th level daily seems to consistently show up on paragon level character sheets.

One feature request, which I feel I may have missed: Weapons and Armor having power cards.
Bobcat11 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Bobcat11

Old November 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Okay, so playing around with Hero Lab some more today, I realized I'd just kept missing the weapon and armor cards, thinking that they'd be with the other items. Sorry about that.
Bobcat11 is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 19th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Just curious because maybe I missed it, but where do Beast Master Ranger's animal companions show up in the app?
cryptoknight is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
usernamesarepoop

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hi folks. I'm yet another 4e player who, due to the fact that I'm starting to think that maybe I kinda can't cope with WotC's new version of their Character Builder, ended up wandering over here in my frustration, looking for more information to chew on.

I'm here, of course, because I'm considering getting a Hero Lab license to use with D&D 4e.

Gathering what I can by nosing around on the Lone Wolf forums a bit and reading feature requests and bug reports, it looks like the downside of Hero Lab is that it currently may be buggy to a degree that is a bit better than the new CB WotC has put out, though not as trouble-free as the Character Builder "Classic"(1), but with the compound upside of:

1) ...being far more full-featured, particularly in regard to house-ruling and custom item creation...
2) ...having a hard-working staff who are Johnny-on-the-spot about ironing out bugs.

The bug thing is of prime importance to a lazy user like me because the main reason I purchase and use a service like my DDI account and a piece of software such as the Character Builder or Hero Lab is that I have no interest/time/inclination to actually do the math and audit it myself to make sure that my character is legit, bonuses/adjustments are calculated correctly and these bonuses and adjustments are being taken advantage of properly. To boil it down, the core reason I buy the service/app is to benefit from it doing everything correctly so I don't have to: I pretty much operate as if the software I'm using is the final word on such stuff and use it as my referee.

While assessing whether or not I will be making a purchase, I think the two most important pieces of information I want to obtain about Hero Lab for D&D 4e are:

1) Is my assessment of Hero Lab's current accuracy and feature-completeness reasonably fair and accurate? By "accuracy and feature-completeness" I mean "does it allow me to do everything the current rulebooks say I can and calculate this stuff correctly?" Or is it more/less tight than I'm gathering?
For the sake of comparison and reference(2), my impression of the old WotC Character Builder Classic is that it's "pretty good", letting me accurately create most of the stuff the game says I should be able to and with few exceptions, while the new online-only CB is a large step backwards; inaccurate, buggy and incomplete to a degree where it's pretty hard to make a case for using it. Where is the latest version of Hero Lab on this continuum, currently?(3)

2) How often do updates to Hero Lab appear? This is a biggie for me because, though I have read through quite a few listed bugs on these forums (posted by people more observant than me), the response from Lone Wolf representatives regarding fixing any particular list of issues in "the next update" is very impressive. If these updates happen fairly often, that goes a long way toward selling me on the product.

I've heard a few people say that the new WotC CB is a big opportunity to companies like Lone Wolf, and I guess I'm further proof that it's true!

(1) I am very interested in any and all input and viewpoints anyone has to offer on this admittedly minimally-researched assessment/question, particularly from users of both apps.

(2) ...and that only - I'm not trying to hijack this forum into a WotC gripe-fest, I'm trying to gather info.

(3) Let me state, before anyone suggests that I download the demo to test it myself, that I know this and that I definitely will do so. The reason I ask other people this accuracy question is because, I'm sorry to say, I can test the app all I want and I'm not going to notice the lion's share of any existing math errors or incorrectly-applied rules mechanics.
usernamesarepoop is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Updates seem to be monthly.

As for click it and forget it HL has pointed out bugs in CB (such as Tempest fighters getting 2 weapon defense free and CB forgetting to add it and my avenger's Improved armor of faith not scaling when she hit Paragon). It's also nice that you can hover a mouse over almost every number to see how that number was derived.
cryptoknight is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
usernamesarepoop

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM
That sort of mouse hover context feature is definitely nice.

Yeah, Class Features not adding to a sheet is the sort of stuff I actually would notice sometimes. When you say "CB" do you mean the new one or the old one they're now calling "Character Builder Classic"? I've noticed that the CB Classic never gives you an opportunity to pick your affected implement and weapon for the Versatile Expertise feat so you never get your bonuses, too, but overall it's much more usable than the new iteration.
In your experience would you say you feel that HL is more comparable to CB Classic than to the new one in regards to accuracy?
...Though I guess if you're an HL customer, you simply switched a while back and you've probably felt no reason to use the CB in a while.
I think when I get a few moments I'll try building up some existing CBC-built characters in the HL demo and doing a direct comparison of the numbers on both the sheet and the Power Cards.
usernamesarepoop is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
usernamesarepoop

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Also, sorry, I'm kind of a forum dunce: at first blush I thought of this as definitely being "related to" feature requests/bug reports, but now I'm thinking maybe it belongs somewhere else. Should post this as a new thread and stop replying here?
usernamesarepoop is offline   #30 Reply With Quote