Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

joe2chillo

Old September 7th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I think the issue is probably when the tool is converting your single cell into several paragraphs.

The tool takes a blank line as a paragraph break. Each paragraph is wrapped in some special RW html, so all html tokens have to be completely enclosed within each paragraph.

This means that all html elements must be closed before/at the end of each paragraph.
I tried that as well but still get the error. I have the first line with the ending tags, then the line break which is just open quotes, line break, line break, close quotes, then on the new line I open the tags again and continue.
joe2chillo is offline   #371 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 7th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Hi Joe,

In the example you sent me, you have a cell with the formula:
=CONCATENATE("<b><i>",X2,"</b>. ","<i>",Y2,"</i>. ",Z2)

However, this results in the b and i not nested properly. Since there is an opening b then i, but you only close the b after the X2.

In html, the elements need to be nested properly:
good = <b><i>Hello</i></b>
bad = <b><i>Hello</b></i>

In your other example, are you putting in " around the new lines just to get them into excel? The " aren't needed for the tool (they are required in CSV file format, but not in excel cells).

Is there a version of the excel concatenate function which will copy the cell format as well as the cell text when merging cells and free text together?

Google suggests that the following will add line breaks as part of concatenating multiple fields:
=A2 & " " & B2 & CHAR(10) & C2 & CHAR(10) & D2 & ", " & E2 & " " & F2

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; September 7th, 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Farling is offline   #372 Reply With Quote
joe2chillo

Old September 7th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Hi Joe,

In the example you sent me, you have a cell with the formula:
=CONCATENATE("<b><i>",X2,"</b>. ","<i>",Y2,"</i>. ",Z2)

However, this results in the b and i not nested properly. Since there is an opening b then i, but you only close the b after the X2.

In html, the elements need to be nested properly:
good = <b><i>Hello</i></b>
bad = <b><i>Hello</b></i>

In your other example, are you putting in " around the new lines just to get them into excel? The " aren't needed for the tool (they are required in CSV file format, but not in excel cells).

Is there a version of the excel concatenate function which will copy the cell format as well as the cell text when merging cells and free text together?

Google suggests that the following will add line breaks as part of concatenating multiple fields:
=A2 & " " & B2 & CHAR(10) & C2 & CHAR(10) & D2 & ", " & E2 & " " & F2
I through that example together quick rather than sending you the longer file I had been working on. My nesting is correct in my other file. I actually changed to the CONCATENATE as a hope it would resolve the issue as I was using & to combine the text earlier. I had not tried char(10) however and will give that a shot. I was also thinking of trying the html break tag to see if that will work. I will keep at it. Thanks.
joe2chillo is offline   #373 Reply With Quote
joe2chillo

Old September 7th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Looks like I got it. the char(10) didn't work right but using the html break tag
Code:
<br>
did. Thank you for the help on this. The tool is wonderful!
joe2chillo is offline   #374 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2chillo View Post
Looks like I got it. the char(10) didn't work right but using the html break tag
Code:
<br>
did. Thank you for the help on this. The tool is wonderful!
Thanks.
I think embedded HTML inside imported snippets is always going to be a little trial and error, to see what RW will accept and what it doesn't like.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #375 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 16th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Hey Farling - great tool! I'm working on entering Rappan Athuk (a not insubstantial task), and this tool is a near perfect starting point. I entered the sections and individual rooms as parents and children in my CSV columns and it mapped to the import exactly as anticipated.

I do have one feature request though - would it be possible to add the Name Management fields to the main name as well as to the alternate names (Ignore case, linking priority, etc). I have an alternate name for each location using its key (e.g., 1A-1 or whatever) which is how other areas are referenced in the text. As it is, because I can't tell the import structure to ignore the primary name, I'm getting a HUGE number of false positives for location areas named things like "Entrance," and I don't see a way to do a mass alteration in RW.

If I could get the import set up to ignore the main names, I would be golden.

Thanks for your work in bringing this super useful tool to the community.

Last edited by JustinThomason; September 16th, 2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
JustinThomason is offline   #376 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old September 19th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Hey Justin, I believe in the current build of the tool, in the top right corner of the structure pieces there is a button that says Name and if you click it, it should start bringing up your different name options as additional fields below the regular name layout.

I'm not in front of the computer that has this on it, but I believe I have it remembered correctly.

Asandir.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #377 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 19th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Asandir, the "Name+" button does add a True name and allows other alternate names to be added; this is how I can add the individual location key numbers as alternate names that will map to those key numbers when referenced in the text. These alternate name lines have additional controls to set if they are to be shown in the navigation, if the case must match, and sets their linking priority. That all works great.

My problem is I need the program to allow me to set the Primary name as a priority of "Never" for the auto linking, and currently there isn't a way to do this (at least, not that I can find).

The module I'm entering doesn't reliably reference locations by name in the text; just by key number. The problem I ran into very quickly is relatively generic location names (e.g., "Entrance" which is the name of at least 3 or 4 locations) try to link to any text that has these relatively common words in it.

I could fix this very quickly if there were a way to tell the tool to Never link the primary name.

It makes sense that this is the way the tool was designed - I know the initial purpose for the tool was to easily import large batches of more mechanical content (spell lists, feat lists, equipment lists, etc), and generally you'd want these to link to the word in the text. I'm pushing the intended design, but I'm hoping the ability to set linking priorities for alternate names means it is possible to add the functionality of setting the linking priority for the primary name as well. It could also open up case matching for the primary name, which would potentially be useful.

What I would like to do can be done through the Manage Names tool in Realm Works (I double checked to make sure), but having to manually switch each topic when I have over 1000 entries is less than ideal.
JustinThomason is offline   #378 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old September 19th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThomason View Post
Asandir, the "Name+" button does add a True name and allows other alternate names to be added; this is how I can add the individual location key numbers as alternate names that will map to those key numbers when referenced in the text. These alternate name lines have additional controls to set if they are to be shown in the navigation, if the case must match, and sets their linking priority. That all works great.

My problem is I need the program to allow me to set the Primary name as a priority of "Never" for the auto linking, and currently there isn't a way to do this (at least, not that I can find).

The module I'm entering doesn't reliably reference locations by name in the text; just by key number. The problem I ran into very quickly is relatively generic location names (e.g., "Entrance" which is the name of at least 3 or 4 locations) try to link to any text that has these relatively common words in it.

I could fix this very quickly if there were a way to tell the tool to Never link the primary name.

It makes sense that this is the way the tool was designed - I know the initial purpose for the tool was to easily import large batches of more mechanical content (spell lists, feat lists, equipment lists, etc), and generally you'd want these to link to the word in the text. I'm pushing the intended design, but I'm hoping the ability to set linking priorities for alternate names means it is possible to add the functionality of setting the linking priority for the primary name as well. It could also open up case matching for the primary name, which would potentially be useful.

What I would like to do can be done through the Manage Names tool in Realm Works (I double checked to make sure), but having to manually switch each topic when I have over 1000 entries is less than ideal.
Ahh. Sorry. Misunderstood what you were after and I don't have the importer in front of me at the moment. I don't think there is a way, but don't know that I have ever looked for what you are asking. Have to wait for Farling to get back to you then since it is his tool.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #379 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 20th, 2018, 10:14 AM
It is something that I was wondering how to present in the interface in a nice way (rather than cluttering up the main topic line with too many buttons.

I will be having a look at it after my holiday, in about a week's time :-)

(Issue was raised on 1/Aug, possibly by me.)

Farling

Farling is offline   #380 Reply With Quote